In Petersburg with tour ticket ,can we go to ballet and go back ship by ourselves?

Wymond

I learnt that cruisers with blanket visa/tour ticket have to be accompanied by a tour company's guide every where. Even when watching a ballet,  we have to book ticket through or be transported by a registered tour company.

I will book a 2-day tour with a local tour company. When I checked with them, they told me I could buy the ballet tickets myself. After completing daytime tour, they would send us to theater for the ballet. When ballet finishes, I could rent a taxi\Uber to go back to the port. The only issue is that taxi\uber can not drive into the port, so we have to talk a 15-minute walk from the gate to she ship. In this way, I would save some money if I could do ballet by ourselves.

I am wondering which one is the right way? is there any trouble to go through custom  and back to ship by ourselves?

Thank you for your input.

1 hour ago, Wymond said:

After completing daytime tour, they would send us to theater for the ballet. When ballet finishes, I could rent a taxi\Uber to go back to the port. The only issue is that taxi\uber can not drive into the port, so we have to talk a 15-minute walk from the gate to she ship. In this way, I would save some money if I could do ballet by ourselves.

I am wondering which one is the right way? is there any trouble to go through custom  and back to ship by ourselves?

Wow, the information you were given would violate Russian immigration law - which company gave you this information? Your tour company must return you to port (assuming Marine Facade) if you do not have a visa. You can't get through the port security (see photo below) without benefit of a licensed tour company or your own Russian tourist visa. 

Furthermore, there is not much in this industrialized area other than the terminals/docks and it is not well lighted at night. Even if you could "get away" with it, I certainly would not want to risk it just to save a few dollars. I suggest you check it out on Google Maps.

Marine Facade.jpg

Edited by dogs4fun
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Wow, the information you were given would violate Russian immigration law - which company gave you this information? Your tour company must return you to port (assuming Marine Facade) if you do not have a visa. You can't get through the port security (see photo below) without benefit of a licensed tour company or your own Russian tourist visa. 

Furthermore, there is not much in this industrialized area other than the terminals/docks and it is not well lighted at night. Even if you could "get away" with it, I certainly would not want to risk it just to save a few dollars. I suggest you check it out on Google Maps.

Marine Facade.jpg

That tour company is ranked top 3 and having great reputation. Lol.  Thank you for your advice. 

27 minutes ago, Wymond said:

That tour company is ranked top 3 and having great reputation. Lol.  Thank you for your advice. 

I simply cannot imagine why one of the top companies would make such a claim.  Perhaps things have changed since my last visit 3 months ago although I highly doubt it. After checking online, it appears that the same rules still apply & nothing has changed:

https://www.russiavisa.com/visafreeentry.htm

Visa-Free Entry

According to the Russian Federation law, cruise passengers are the only category of tourists visiting Russia who are allowed to stay on the territory of the Russian Federation without visa for up to 72 hours.

However, cruise passengers can stay in Russia for 72 hours without visas only if they have booked tours through the companies officially licensed by the Russian government. Such companies will supply you with a tour ticket, which is called a blanket visa or booking confirmation, and let you pass the customs/immigration offices without any other documents except your valid passport and migration card that you will be given onboard. To get a tour ticket you need to order a tour program with the help of our company and give us a photo copy of your passport. The tour ticket will be sent to you electronically and you should have it while passing the port customs.

Essentials to Remember

1. No-Visa Entry is only for 72 hours and only for cruise ship passengers.
  2. A tour confirmation from a Russian travel company is needed to go ashore.
  3. You are required to depart and return to the port with the tour, you do not have the option to stay in St. Petersburg and return to the ship on your own.
  4. You may disembark independently if you have a valid Russian visa (can be arranged with our help).

Special Note

Cruise passengers are free to use any authorized local travel agencies (not only cruise ship companies) for visa-free shore tours.

You can also check-out the US consulate In Russia where you will find the requirements for cruise ship passengers here: https://ru.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/st-petersburg/u-s-citizenship-services/special-entry-exit-requirements/

Edited by dogs4fun

I'm with dogs4fun on this one. I remember having to be driven back to the port by a tour company driver after our evening out (just this past season). Before I go trusting any company -- even a "top 3" company -- I would talk with a couple of other companies and see what they tell you. (I'll recommend Red Sun Tours myself: Elena was great at getting back to me quickly with answers to my questions.)

Dogs4fun and Trosebery, I believe you are totally right.

I double check with that company. They said by law, cruisers are not allowed to returned on their own, but some of their customers risked to do that without problem. 

Their claim was not professional and responsible. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wymond said:

. When I checked with them, they told me I could buy the ballet tickets myself. After completing daytime tour, they would send us to theater for the ballet. When ballet finishes, I could rent a taxi\Uber to go back to the port. The only issue is that taxi\uber can not drive into the port, so we have to talk a 15-minute walk from the gate to she ship.

Different tour operators interpret the rules more liberally than others, but that sounds very very very wrong.

When we booked a day tour plus evening thro' Alla we were dropped at a bar in the city (gap between day & evening was too short to go back to the ship), an Alla rep then showed up & walked us round to the theatre, and after the show an Alla driver was waiting outside for us and drove us back to the ship. That's about as liberal with the rules as I would expect.

Uber involved in an altercation or accident or even a simple police check, or you challenged during your walk back thro the port would put both you and the tour operator in deep doo-doos. 

I'm intrigued.

Which of the "big three" tour operators gave you that advice??

JB :classic_smile:

I was also informed that we could be on our own after the tour since a few in my group would like to see a soccer game if one is available while we are there. The tour company is also come highly recommended here. 
Thank you Dogs4fun and those replied. 

11 minutes ago, John Bull said:

I'm intrigued.

I am also intrigued. I very much doubt that it is one of the top rated companies on TripAdvisor or one of the top companies mentioned on this forum - these are all very experienced & respected tour companies and I highly doubt that they would risk their reputation simply because a cruise passenger wanted to save a little money. The top companies get plenty of bookings without the need to engage in risky practices that might get them in trouble.

As JB noted, some operators interpret the rules more liberally than others but ... no walking back to port on your own without a visa.

Edited by dogs4fun

14 minutes ago, Biris said:

I was also informed that we could be on our own after the tour since a few in my group would like to see a soccer game if one is available while we are there.

That might be possible provided that the tour company took you to the soccer game & returned you to port after the game. "On your own" can mean a variety of things including attending the ballet, concert, folkshow, etc. without your tour guide and then returning to port with your tour provider. It appears that you are booking through TJ Tours? They are allowing you to attend a soccer game on your own?

Edited by dogs4fun

17 minutes ago, John Bull said:

Different tour operators interpret the rules more liberally than others, but that sounds very very very wrong.

When we booked a day tour plus evening thro' Alla we were dropped at a bar in the city (gap between day & evening was too short to go back to the ship), an Alla rep then showed up & walked us round to the theatre, and after the show an Alla driver was waiting outside for us and drove us back to the ship. That's about as liberal with the rules as I would expect.

Uber involved in an altercation or accident or even a simple police check, or you challenged during your walk back thro the port would put both you and the tour operator in deep doo-doos. 

I'm intrigued.

JB :classic_smile:

SPB, TJ and Alla, I think they are the big three? It is among them.

I wanted to buy ballet ticket of Mariinsky Theatre by myself. They would charge me US$60 only to drive me back to ship. I asked if I could Uber back. They said" yes!"......This was the story.

Edited by Wymond

9 minutes ago, Wymond said:

SPB, TJ and Alla, I think they are the big three? It is among them.

I wanted to buy ballet ticket of Mariinsky Theatre by myself. They would charge me US$60 only to drive me back to ship. I asked if I could Uber back. They said" yes!"......This was the story.

Definitely not Alla, I asked and already received her definitive reply ... "NOT POSSIBLE".

I sincerely hope that you are not planning on walking back to the ship on your own. Very bad idea, IMHO. Please, spend the money required to ensure your safety.

Edited by dogs4fun

4 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Definitely not Alla, I asked and already received her definitive reply ... "NOT POSSIBLE".

I sincerely hope that you are not planning on walking back to the ship on your own. Very bad idea, IMHO. Spend the extra money to ensure your safety.

Thanks for your advice, dogs4fun. Definitely,  I will not try it.

”Regarding the soccer match, kindly note that we are not authorized to sell tickets for UEFA events (for EURO), you can purchase them through the official UEFA website only.”
”Football matches are usually in the evening (at about 7 pm), so, probably, it is better for the guests who would like to visit it to have a separate transfer. Yes, the can stay on the stadium on their own. 

I might have mistaken a “separate transfer” as our own mean of transportation. I’m glad I found this thread today. Thanks all. 

9 hours ago, Biris said:

I was also informed that we could be on our own after the tour since a few in my group would like to see a soccer game if one is available while we are there. 

Wait, wait - if that "soccer game" is one of UEFA games, the point is moot, as to get to the actual game you will need not only a ticket but also a fan-id, which doubles as a full-fledged Russian visa anyway.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, napoxoguk said:

Wait, wait - if that "soccer game" is one of UEFA games, the point is moot, as to get to the actual game you will need not only a ticket but also a fan-id, which doubles as a full-fledged Russian visa anyway.

Oh thanks for this - otherwise it seemed kind of crazy that a tour company would recommend this to its client.

5 hours ago, napoxoguk said:

if that "soccer game" is one of UEFA games, the point is moot, as to get to the actual game you will need not only a ticket but also a fan-id, which doubles as a full-fledged Russian visa anyway.

Yes, the UEFA Euro Cup matches are a separate situation - one needs a Fan ID to attend these games & that ID allows visa free entry to the Russian Federation. Note that the FAN ID is only valid for certain dates. For entering Russia, it is valid from May 30th to July 3rd - departing Russia validity between May 30 - July 13.

If you want to attend one of the UEFA matches, you must apply for the FAN ID - you won't be able to get one when you arrive in Saint Petersburg via a cruise ship.

Info re UEFA EURO 2020 here:

https://support.tickets-euro2020.uefa.com/hc/en-us/articles/360010570139-What-is-a-FAN-ID-

and here:

https://www.fan-id.ru/

Edited by dogs4fun
  • Like 1

Also note that to apply for fan-id one also needs to have their match tickets firstThe first round of sales ended in December, the dates for all matches are already known.

It's a straightforward but somewhat time-consuming process, but it's very well worth it - and doing it via a cruise is a smart move: if 2018's World Cup is any indication, hotel prices around game dates will be ridiculously high.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dogs4fun said:

Yes, the UEFA Euro Cup matches are a separate situation - one needs a Fan ID to attend these games & that ID allows visa free entry to the Russian Federation. Note that the FAN ID is only valid for certain dates. For entering Russia, it is valid from May 30th to July 3rd - departing Russia validity between May 30 - July 13.

If you want to attend one of the UEFA matches, you must apply for the FAN ID - you won't be able to get one when you arrive in Saint Petersburg via a cruise ship.

Info re UEFA EURO 2020 here:

https://support.tickets-euro2020.uefa.com/hc/en-us/articles/360010570139-What-is-a-FAN-ID-

and here:

https://www.fan-id.ru/

Hi Dogs4fun, I looked into your link, but didn't see that cruiser won't get a Fan ID. 

53 minutes ago, Wymond said:

Hi Dogs4fun, I looked into your link, but didn't see that cruiser won't get a Fan ID. 

You misunderstand my post - a cruiser certainly can obtain a FAN ID. To be clear - you must purchase your match tickets and obtain your FAN ID prior to your cruise. It will be too late to obtain the FAN ID when you arrive in Saint Petersburg via cruise - you must already have the ID in hand. There are a limited number of tickets available for these matches and the tickets are in high demand. You must have a ticket for a match BEFORE you can apply for the FAN ID. 

The ticket sales for the 20 qualifying teams has already closed: 

https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro-2020/news/0257-0e199847604f-7ae96e0bad32-1000--euro-2020-tickets-latest/

One can apply for the play-off tickets after the end of March. https://www.uefa.com/european-qualifiers/news/0254-0d40fc7db8ee-f6fe04623679-1000--play-offs-who-plays-who/?iv=true

Hope this makes it more clear. 

Edited by dogs4fun
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dogs4fun said:

You misunderstand my post - a cruiser certainly can obtain a FAN ID. To be clear - you must purchase your match tickets and obtain your FAN ID prior to your cruise. It will be too late to obtain the FAN ID when you arrive in Saint Petersburg via cruise - you must already have the ID in hand. There are a limited number of tickets available for these matches and the tickets are in high demand. You must have a ticket for a match BEFORE you can apply for the FAN ID. 

The ticket sales for the 20 qualifying teams has already closed: 

https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro-2020/news/0257-0e199847604f-7ae96e0bad32-1000--euro-2020-tickets-latest/

One can apply for the play-off tickets after the end of March. https://www.uefa.com/european-qualifiers/news/0254-0d40fc7db8ee-f6fe04623679-1000--play-offs-who-plays-who/?iv=true

Hope this makes it more clear. 

I understand what you said now.

I applied for tickets of matches in Amsterdam. I would watch game before sailing if i am lucky.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for it. Lol