Sensation, Nov. 13, 2006 out of New Orleans

HarleyGirl

:p Hi everybody! My first post here! I am in the process of planning my first cruise for November on the Sensation out of New Orleans (from what they tell me, the first Carnival cruise will leave there on Oct. 30, post hurricane). I have many questions, some of which I have answered by reading posts on here. One of them--and I know this is a common one--I cannot decide between Paradise Beach and Passion Island in Cozumel. I really really want to see Passion Island but I like the fact that not only is PB less expensive, you can leave whenever you want. I would like to spend some time looking around Cozumel on my own, taking in the culture and such. Is it really safe to venture past the "touristy" area that the ships warn you to stay within? I have read the Coz is extremely safe, even for women, plus hubby will be with me. That brings me to next question: HUBBY. While I love to dress up any chance I get, his idea of dressing up is blue jeans without holes in them and MAYBE a polo type shirt (which must be black) and his Harley boots. He does not even own a suit. Are we going to fit in on this cruise? I doubt we will make it to formal night, but I hope he will be ok the rest of the time. I'm telling ya, the guy does not own any Dockers or anything of that nature. Sorry this is so long. I just have so many concerns with this being our first cruise. Thanks for any help anyone provides. Feel free to email me also. Oh one more thing. If you take pictures of the locals while on the islands, are you supposed to tip them? I love taking lots of pics and I want to capture everything I see on film.

Funny, I was reading about the Sensation b/c I am looking at their cruise to the Bahamas in May. Here is a cut and paste from Expedia.com under Reviews about the Sensation:

CLOTHING spaceit.gifThe Sensation is a casual cruise. There is one formal night, and most gentlemen opt for a suit and tie as opposed to a tuxedo. Most ladies wear a short cocktail dress or a dressy pants outfit on formal nights. Other nights are casual, with most gentlemen wearing a sport shirt and long slacks and most ladies wearing a casual dress or skirt and blouse or pants outfit. Shorts are not permitted in the dining rooms at dinner. The dress is very casual during the day, with swimsuits, shorts and t-shirts being the rule. Swimsuits are not allowed in the dining rooms, but you may opt for casual breakfast and lunch on the lido deck or around the pool.

slacks for non formal night dinner attire. Do a search on "jeans" and you will find holy wars about this. Personally slacks are not jeans. I saw not one person in the formal dining room wearing jeans on the Liberty in December, but I could care less what others wear and would not notice unless they were doing something goofy in my line of sight.

There are many here who wear jeans and are not turned away - though on a formal night, some have been turned away by those that enforce the policy.

I just wanted first-hand info from those who have been there. thanks!

On my Sensation cruise, I saw NO jeans or tees in the formal dining room on any evening. Lido Deck buffet is fine for that type clothing. No shorts or tees are allowed in the formal dining room on any night. Fine for b'fast or lunch, but no swim wear or coverups.

Sounds as if you would enjoy the formal dining, but to please hubby, you might be having your evening meals on Lido. Good luck in getting him to dress up a bit, and I hope you have a wonderful cruise.:)

:)

:p Hi everybody! My first post here! I am in the process of planning my first cruise for November on the Sensation out of New Orleans (from what they tell me, the first Carnival cruise will leave there on Oct. 30, post hurricane). I have many questions, some of which I have answered by reading posts on here. One of them--and I know this is a common one--I cannot decide between Paradise Beach and Passion Island in Cozumel. I really really want to see Passion Island but I like the fact that not only is PB less expensive, you can leave whenever you want. I would like to spend some time looking around Cozumel on my own, taking in the culture and such. Is it really safe to venture past the "touristy" area that the ships warn you to stay within? I have read the Coz is extremely safe, even for women, plus hubby will be with me. That brings me to next question: HUBBY. While I love to dress up any chance I get, his idea of dressing up is blue jeans without holes in them and MAYBE a polo type shirt (which must be black) and his Harley boots. He does not even own a suit. Are we going to fit in on this cruise? I doubt we will make it to formal night, but I hope he will be ok the rest of the time. I'm telling ya, the guy does not own any Dockers or anything of that nature. Sorry this is so long. I just have so many concerns with this being our first cruise. Thanks for any help anyone provides. Feel free to email me also. Oh one more thing. If you take pictures of the locals while on the islands, are you supposed to tip them? I love taking lots of pics and I want to capture everything I see on film.

I have seen jeans in EVERY carnival dining room i have been in... NOT ON FORMAL NIGHTS THOUGH.!!! ;) If he has nice new jeans and a nice shirt it will be fine on any other night in the dining room...... my husband has worn nice jeans and a nice polo button down to dine in.... i have even seen dress shorts!!! one cruise i was on a guy wore a BASEBALL CAP even with his FORMAL ATTIRE!!! he looke quite ridiculous but you see it all... and it was allowed!!! go-- have fun and don't worry!!! oh-- also... since the hurricane i have heard many say that the passion island isn't what it used to be... haven't been there since but i have heard dissapointment from others... alot of what made it "passion island" isn't there anymore...GOOD LUCK on your first cruise.. and don't worry so much... :)

Jeans are not supposed to be worn in the dining after 6pm; just stick with the basics and we safe, plus you will feel better. Paradise Beach is great. I think the ships going back to NOLA is a great sign. NCL will be the first to return, I think they have a sailing mid October. The announcemant came out a couple of days ago. NMNita

Archived