DSLRs on the back burner?

pierces

Canon press release:

“To date we’ve launched ten critically acclaimed RF lenses, and as it’s a new system we plan to continue this, launching more RF lenses while still fully supporting the EF lens system. And of course, should the market demand it, we are ready to create new EF lenses. But for now, our focus is on RF.”

While it's true that Canon has a very deep lineup of EF lenses already, the move to mirrorless-only lens development seems to be mile marker on the road to the future of interchangeable lens cameras. When might we see an EOS-1ML? 🙂

Dave

I know very little about lens development, but I'd surmise trying to make a material improvement in some of the existing EF lenses is very hard to do, and most people who own an array of "L" glass aren't going to shell out more cash for a couple minor tweaks.  The ROI for coming a version III of the EF 100-400 lens, where many already own the I or II model, is probably a lot less than giving the RF crowd a 100-400 lens that nobody currently has.

I do wonder if the RF lenses start with their EF counterparts as a template or if they are "fresh" designs.

But I do think Canon, and the world, seem headed in the mirorrless direction.  I suppose we shall see.  I know I for one am not planning to run out and invest in a mirrored 1DXIII.  Not that I would be getting one if it was mirorrless... but possible obsolescence is a more palatable reason in my mind than "I just can't justify the cost for what I do."