Best night to reserve Tamarind on Nieuw Amsterdam

LogansNini

My 2 sisters, daughter ( who just turned 50) and I are sailing on the Nieuw Amsterdam this Saturday, January 11.   I want to treat her to a special birthday dinner at Tamarind. Can anyone recommend which night would be best to reserve? Thanks! 

I have never been on a ship that had a Tamarind, as I like smaller ships.

But I always try to schedule a specialty dining restaurant (Pinnacle Grill) on the very first night (embarkation day).

I do this for two reasons: First we always have anytime dining, and find that there are longer waits to be seated on the first night.

The other reason is that the meal on the first night in the Main Dining Room is less spectacular than on other nights.

• Like 1

Don’t book on Gala nights as the food in the MDR is usually a ‘step up’.  First night or last night. . .  Or maybe check the menus and then decide.  If you want to prebook, they will allow you to change it once onboard. 

It depends on your schedule/route.  We once dined in the Tamarind while in San Juan with a late port departure time (like 11 PM).  It was great, since not crowded AND we got to see the lights of San Juan while dining.  Did this at another port as well when we had a late departure time.

Otherwise, we like to go on the last night (just did this on the NA a few weeks ago).  It was not very busy and the menu in the MDR was not to our liking that evening.  No problem getting last minute reservations (day of around noon)

Also agree - do not do on a Gala night (usually a sea day).

Edited by DaveOKC

If there's a Tamarind on board, we always do it the first night.  The MDR is usually a bit chaotic the first night, anyway.

Then again, if it's for a  birthday, maybe on the birthday night?

Edited by Vict0riann

On a recent Nieuw  Amsterdam cruise, Tamarind was offered at a 25% Discount the evening we were in San Juan. We assumed due to the late schedule departure.  Since we had early dining, it allowed us to stay in port a little longer,  as well save a little money on an excellent meal.