Private tour reccommendations (Sete, Marseille, Ajaccio)

ellie84

Looking for any great recommendations for private tour companies that you have had good experiences with for the following ports: 

Sete

Marseille

Ajaccio

Looking either for companies who could provide a guide and driver for the tour and/or for companies who will just provide a driver etc. Grateful to receive all recommendations!! Many thanks in

advance 🙂

We had a terrific driver/guide from the port of  Marseille to Aix en Provence, Cassis, and Marseille.  She was with ItalyTours.eu.  Four of us did the full day tour and were able to adjust the tour based upon how much time we wanted to spend in each place.  I don't know if they operate out of the other French ports that you mentioned, but our Marseille tour was outstanding.

Edited by frenchhorn
misspell

1 hour ago, CrazyJess said:

How many hours did your tour take? We will be in Marseille from 8 am till 5 pm. Will it be enough to see all the three?  or shall we limit ourselves with only two - Marseille & Aix en Provence?  Thank you! Jess.

I would recommend Aix and Cassis with maybe a winery between them.  

Or Les Baux and Aix. Or Les Baux and Avignon. 

Marseille has been cleaning up its act in the past few years, but still it would be last on my list of places to visit out of that port.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, CrazyJess said:

Thank you! What will be better for us to use trains or to rent a car? We both are good drivers and enjoy driving, but hate traffic jams…

Jess

Rent a car. Search this board. Hank (Hlitner) and others have recently posted good practical info on car rentals.  But be mindful of the time you have available in port. 

There is also good info here on the trains. However if you want to visit more than one place, that may not be practical. Do check ouisncf.com to look at train tables and connections between cities.

Les Baux is not accessible by train.

Do consider a private tour to maximize your time.  That is, pick up and drop off by the ship. No time wasted waiting for trains, or renting and returning cars. 

Edited by marazul

• 4 weeks later...

I took a wonderful gourmet walking tour of Sète with Absolutely Southern France. We sampled local specialties from artisan  merchants who were very welcoming and happy to talk to us. Nancy, our host, peppered the trip with local history and anecdotes which added much to the flavour of what turned out to be a fascinating and cultural town. Check the website http://absolutelysouthernfrance.com

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This past February. I paid Nancy in full for a tour for our April cruise. A few days after,  cruising imploded due to COVID.  We canceled our cruise and requested Nancy for a refund. Our payment was refunded in full within 24 hours.  I know this is a very difficult time for a small businesses and I really commend her for her responsiveness.

We hope to cruise again next year and I will definitely book a tour with Nancy.  I highly recommend her.

• Like 1