We just want to walk around St. John's

Markanddonna

I am seeking your advice on this topic. We will be on an MSC cruise in Feb and want to just walk around St. John's Island. Our travel goal is to get out of the frozen north, walk, and enjoy the lovely surrounding.  Not a big hike, but a walk- maybe a two hours. I noticed the National Park office seems very close to the ferry dock.

So, is this how we do it?  Taxi to Red Hook Ferry from the cruise terminal. Take the Red Hook Ferry to Cruz Bay. Turn to the left and head to the National Park area. 

Question: it seems like there are many beaches out that way. What else is out in that direction? Any recommendations on great views and sites? 

We plan to head back to the town, catch the ferry and get back to the ship. 

Is my thinking correct?  Any additional advice?

thanks!

To the left of the ferry dock on St John is the National Park HQ which is a lovely building that shows the history of St John. There isn't a beach in that area.

There's a hiking trail behind the NPS HQ but that hike isn't flat but it can be done in less than an hour one way. It's the Lind Point Trail. Great views along the trail and leads you to a beach.

Yes, taxi to Red Hook and ferry to St John.

You have 2 hiking options. 

From the VINP visitors center, access the stairs to Lind Point Trail. Early on, the trail splits into an upper n lower path. They are very similar, but I recommend the upper Trail for access to an overlook of Cruz Bay. It’s well signed. Both trails will take you to Salomon and Honeymoon beaches. 

From the Mongoose Junction shops, Which is roughly across from the visitor center, hike up Caneel Trail. It’s less than a mile up to an overlook in a platform about 700 feet above sea level with great views of Cruz Bay, Caneel Bay, STT, and Jost.

Edited by GMoney

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/13/2020 at 8:28 PM, GMoney said:

You have 2 hiking options. 

From the VINP visitors center, access the stairs to Lind Point Trail. Early on, the trail splits into an upper n lower path. They are very similar, but I recommend the upper Trail for access to an overlook of Cruz Bay. It’s well signed. Both trails will take you to Salomon and Honeymoon beaches. 

From the Mongoose Junction shops, Which is roughly across from the visitor center, hike up Caneel Trail. It’s less than a mile up to an overlook in a platform about 700 feet above sea level with great views of Cruz Bay, Caneel Bay, STT, and Jost.

Does the Caneel Trail also lead to a beach?  I'm not the OP, but a very interested party. Hubby and I honeymooned in Caneel Bay and would really love to find a way back there. Thanks in advance for your response!

The Caneel Hill hike leads you to the entrance that was the resort. The resort was badly damaged in the storms and the grounds are closed to the public unless you reserve the VI Ecotours golf cart to take you to Honeymoon Beach.