Do You Subscribe To A Travel Magazine?

tuggers

For cruising, I think it hard to beat Cruise Travel magazine. Did have a subscription to Porthole, but let it expire, as I thought it too slick with too many noncruise ads/articles.

Also subscribe to National Geographic Traveler, which we enjoy.

Did have some other generic travel mags, but let them also expire.

I currently subscribe to Porthole, Cruise Travel, Islands, Caribbean Travel and Life, and Conde Nast Traveler. I had also been a subscriber to Cruise Critics travel magazine, but they just discontinued it.

I find Cruise Travel more enjoyable than Porthole, which seems to be more and more just a vehicle for advertisements and extremely superficial cruise articles. I like the Caribbean magazines as a way of revisiting places I've been, and pinpointing places I'd l'd like to go to.

Conde Nast Travel has some interesting polls and ratings articles, and some very nice photographs and articles.

Obviously, I need a constant travel fix! I also subscribe to too many food magazines.

Allen

I used to subscribe to Cruise Travel and Porthole. I let both expire. I had saved hundreds of issues in case I wanted some info on reviewed ships. I threw them away. It is easier getting the info on line, and doesn't take up near the space.:D

I guess I've tried them all and let almost all of them expire, like the PP said, also have too many food/cooking subscriptions. I currently get Endless Vacations because it comes with my time share membership and it always has interesting stuff in it. I did not like the cruise magazines. They were almost all ads and stuff I'd already read about on cruise critic. Conde Nast was okay & National Geographic more for "dream vacations" but like I've said, I just wasn't reading all of them because there were so many at the same time.

Tell us about any wonderful ones we might not have heard about.

I love Frommer's Budget Travel magazine

I agree with Judy, Budget Travel magazine is the only travel magazine we've found that's useful. It will have articles like "10 small hotels in London for under $200." We can actually take advantage of that. Have subscribed to Conde Nast Traveler and Travel + Leisure, and have given up on both as just fluffy vehicles for perfume and car ads, almost no "real" travel information. I don't need to be told about the newest $800 a night resort in Bali.

We don't get any cruise magazines since I read it first here on Cruise Critic!

We also get Passport and OutTraveler, both aimed at the gay and lesbian travel market, which are surprisingly useful for the general traveler as well.

These are the only magazines that we currently receive..

Journal of the Missouri Bar Association

Journal of Analytical Chemistry

Journal of Forensic Sciences

Scientific American

The only other magazines I receive are:

Jeans in the Dining Room Journal

Chair Hog Quarterly

Me, Me, Me Monthly

Line-Breaker's Review

Allen

These are the only magazines that we currently receive..

Journal of the Missouri Bar Association

Scientific American

What about American Mathematical Monthly?

I tried Conde Naste for a year and thought that it was a little too high end for me, (Though their readers are the ones that love Celebrity so much) It was just wierd that Celebrity seems to fit me but I still think that any hotel over $200 a night is a little too expensive.

I also tried Travel and Leisure for a year and just found it to high end for me. Loved fantisizing about some of thier destination, cities, luxurious hotels ect, but I need something to actually help me plan a vacation for mayself, not just dream.

So Budget Travel seems a better fit for me. Their motto is "Your vacation, not ours". I enjoy the articles and the funny true stories they publish.

I also get Cruise Travel. I really love it and read it cover to cover in the first day or two. I loved the recent article on Royal Clipper. I think I would really love that ship is I can ever get the opportunity to take one of thier cruises.

I'd say that these two sound like the lineup of magazines another of our members here might use for detailed information on cruising -- but -- I guess I won't!:D

Oh -- and we're down to just Nat'l Geographic Traveler and Budget Travel now.

I ordered up a slew of travel magazines with some expiring US Airways miles. Conde Nast, T & L, etc., and the one I was most excited about, Cruising World. Imagine my dismay when it arrived and I realized it was for people who cruise on their own sailboats.:( Lots of adds for rigging, engines, toilets, etc. I realize, after reading this thread, that what I was looking for was Cruise Travel. Oh well.

Amy

I ordered up a slew of travel magazines with some expiring US Airways miles. Conde Nast, T & L, etc., and the one I was most excited about, Cruising World. Imagine my dismay when it arrived and I realized it was for people who cruise on their own sailboats.:( Lots of adds for rigging, engines, toilets, etc. I realize, after reading this thread, that what I was looking for was Cruise Travel. Oh well.

Amy

Amy, the same thing happened to me about 20 years ago. We had just come back to Charleston, SC, from our honeymoon cruise, and I thought it would really be cool to re-live our cruise through a cruise magazine, so I subscribed to Cruising World. The good part was that I spent a year looking at some really nice pictures of wooden sailboats. :()

Allen

Conde Nast Traveler, which I think is fluff, and let expire after 1 year, yet they keep sending it cause I fit some "target demographic". I really didn't see most of it being about realistic travel unless you're a celebrity or someone else is footing the bill. After all, EVERYWHERE is nice if you have enough money, there are some really nice resorts just outside calcutta. (grin)

I usually throw the magazine away very very quickly so the wife doesn't see the jewelry and watch ads.

Cruise Travel is decent, and there's one called executive traveler that I get free that's been useful for non-cruise travel, but you really get much better cruise info here.

Garrick

Archived