Critique my Plans 2 Days in BDA

sha259

Can someone fact check my thinking that this will be a good plan and not too much for just me and a 3 year old? My BFF lives in Bermuda so we will be doing a combo of touristy things and hanging with her family. We will be docked in BDA from 9 am Monday June 1st, to 5 pm Tuesday June 2nd.

BDA Day #1

·         Buy 2 Day Ferry/Bus Pass ($31.50)Take Orange ferry to St Georges (9:30 am - 60 min ride to meet friend and family)

·         Historic St. Georges and Beach

·         Bus or taxi to Crystal Caves ( bus or taxi better? which bus best from St Georges?)

·         Snack/Lunch (Swizzle in or Grotto Bay Beach)

·         Bus back to friend’s place to relax and have dinner (she lives in St. Davids)

·         Bus/Ferry back to Dock Yard

·         Back to the ship Ferry Leaves Hamilton at 6:30 or 7:30 pm

BDA Day #2 

·         Take Blue ferry to Hamilton (7:30 or 9:30 am 30 min ride to meet friend and family 

·         Breakfast with friend in Hamilton (recommendations?)

·         Sight see in Hamilton

·         Bus to Horseshoe Bay Beach

·         Bus or shuttle back to Dock Yard

I will have a stroller and a toddler carrier on Day 1. Day 2 I might leave the stroller and just use the carrier because it's more of a beach day. (I have carried him all around Quebec so am not worried carrying him when he gets tired)

Day 1 sounds really packed to me, and I don't know, with the timing for travel, if all that will work. If I cut something out, should it be St. Georges or the caves? I have been to the caves, but not St Georges, and I think my 3 yr old would really like the caves. My main focus is to spend the quality time with my friend, so want to maximize the things we can experience together.

Also, the transport back from St Davids to the ship at night might be too much and too long. If so, I might be changing that bus to my friends house to a bus to her parents house, which is in Southampton right by Horseshoe bay. and much closer to the ship for a later bus ride.

So, any and all feedback on this is greatly appreciated!!!

20 minutes ago, sha259 said:

My BFF lives in Bermuda so we will be doing a combo of touristy things and hanging with her family.

Does your friend have a car on the island? If so, if they could pick up or drop off a few times in day 1 you would save a bunch of time vs the bus. 

21 minutes ago, sha259 said:

BDA Day #2 

·         Take Blue ferry to Hamilton (7:30 or 9:30 am 30 min ride to meet friend and family 

·         Breakfast with friend in Hamilton (recommendations?)

·         Sight see in Hamilton

·         Bus to Horseshoe Bay Beach

·         Bus or shuttle back to Dock Yard

If you took the ferry over to Hamilton, then a taxi from Hamilton to Horseshoe Bay is only about $25 and then there are minibuses that will take you back to Dockyard. This will save time-- the extra expense for a taxi might be worth it to save a bunch of time. 

22 minutes ago, sha259 said:

If I cut something out, should it be St. Georges or the caves? I have been to the caves, but not St Georges, and I think my 3 yr old would really like the caves. My main focus is to spend the quality time with my friend, so want to maximize the things we can experience together.

If you have already been to the caves then I would just go tour St Georges. Plus with the caves there are a bunch of steps in and out that could be challenging with a 3 year old. 

23 minutes ago, sha259 said:

Also, the transport back from St Davids to the ship at night might be too much and too long.

It's clear across the island. The best use of public transport to get back to Dockyard would be taking the last ferry from St Georges if you are at St Davids. 

On 1/13/2020 at 3:14 PM, princeton123211 said:

Does your friend have a car on the island? If so, if they could pick up or drop off a few times in day 1 you would save a bunch of time vs the bus. 

If you took the ferry over to Hamilton, then a taxi from Hamilton to Horseshoe Bay is only about $25 and then there are minibuses that will take you back to Dockyard. This will save time-- the extra expense for a taxi might be worth it to save a bunch of time. 

If you have already been to the caves then I would just go tour St Georges. Plus with the caves there are a bunch of steps in and out that could be challenging with a 3 year old. 

It's clear across the island. The best use of public transport to get back to Dockyard would be taking the last ferry from St Georges if you are at St Davids. 

Thanks for your feedback! For Day 1 I’m  maybe thinking we can tour St George’s, spend some time at her place, then have her take us back to St George’s in time for the last ferry. She does have a car, but like most Bermudians, it’s a compact. She has 2 kids so could not shuttle all 5 of us in her car. Plus I would need to have a car seat for my toddler, which I was not planning to bring. I might just rely on a taxi back to the ferry then.

For Day 2 I’m thinking to get the first ferry to Hamilton so getting there at 8 am should leave plenty of time for browsing and bus travel. I’ll be with a 3 year old so won’t likely be in any one location too long.

Our first choice will be if she can borrow her church van while we are there so then she would just be taking us everywhere. But I’m planning for the event that that doesn’t work out, as that happened last time we were there.

10 hours ago, sha259 said:

Our first choice will be if she can borrow her church van while we are there so then she would just be taking us everywhere.

That would be incredible-- would save you a ton of $$ on taxis and a whole bunch of time vs using the bus (although the ferries will still be a bit faster than a free van going from one side to the other). 

• Like 1

On 1/15/2020 at 10:46 AM, princeton123211 said:

That would be incredible-- would save you a ton of $$ on taxis and a whole bunch of time vs using the bus (although the ferries will still be a bit faster than a free van going from one side to the other). 

I agree. Even if she has the van, I'd be meeting her and getting dropped off from the ferry for both our convenience. Thanks, I think I have my plan now!