Holland America Thermal Suite

melindajenks

8 hours ago, melindajenks said:

Cruising on Holland America for the first time in May on the Oosterdam to Alaska. Been reading about the thermal suite. Is it worth it? Should a pass be bought before getting on or is it best to wait until we get on the ship? Thank you!

Sounds like you are talking about the spa pass to use the hydrotherapy pool and the thermal lounges?

Both are very nice. If you are able to put it to good use and enjoy those type of activities then you may find it is worth it for you.

It used to be best to wait until embarkation day to buy but there have been reports of it being discounted if you purchase it pre-cruise.  I would take a look at the price on line and then you can decide if it is worth it to you. 😉 

On both of my Alaskan Cruises ( May '18 and May '16) I booked our couple's pass on embarkation day.  Both times I took the spa tour and they gave us the couple pass for the price of a single person pass.

Of course your experience may vary.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Brentt_M said:

On both of my Alaskan Cruises ( May '18 and May '16) I booked our couple's pass on embarkation day.  Both times I took the spa tour and they gave us the couple pass for the price of a single person pass.

I've never heard of this happening. Did you get that discount because you took the tour? Did you ask if they could "do better" on the price? 

12 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I've never heard of this happening. Did you get that discount because you took the tour? Did you ask if they could "do better" on the price? 

I guess maybe because of taking the tour, just at the end of the tour both times they offered anyone that signed up right then the discounted price.  I just assumed it was the standard operating procedure.

Edited by Brentt_M
gix

1 minute ago, Brentt_M said:

I guess maybe because of taking the tour, just at the end of the tour both times they offered anyone that signed up right then the discounted price.  I just assumed it was the standard operating procedure.

I may try that this winter. The tour is a waste of time, but I'd love to get a discount since I pay the overpriced singles rate.

37 minutes ago, Brentt_M said:

I had the couple pass discount once, but it was not as good as a "two-for-one" deal. Still some significant savings since it was a 12-day cruise. One positive is that the "couple pass" does not have to be with two passengers in the same  cabin. If you can find someone else in your travel group / roll call willing to split the cost, you can be eligible.

I was on Oosterdam Alaska last season. The pass was cheaper online pre cruise. Never ever heard about couple for the price of single. They offer everyone the tour. Supposedly, if the embarkation day price is less than the pre cruise online price, your account will be credited the difference. This policy would seem to preclude the ability to haggle a different price.

8 minutes ago, Jammu2 said:

I was on Oosterdam Alaska last season. The pass was cheaper online pre cruise. Never ever heard about couple for the price of single. They offer everyone the tour. Supposedly, if the embarkation day price is less than the pre cruise online price, your account will be credited the difference. This policy would seem to preclude the ability to haggle a different price.

This did happen to us one cruise (Eurodam, I believe).  We pre-purchased a couples pass, but was cheaper onboard at the tour.  They cancelled and refunded the pre-purchased pass and sold us a new one for less.  

Other cruises the price was the same so it didn't matter.

23 minutes ago, Jammu2 said:

Thank you! This was my main thing! We didn't want to risk it selling out but if we can get it cheaper we would wait. Good to know they will credit the difference!

Going on the Maasdam to Alaska in July and wondering if its' thermal pool is as good as the other ships (did on the newer ships and loved)  We have been on the Maasdam before, and they didn't then have a thermal.  Anyone done this on Maasdam?

2 hours ago, kenphy said:

Going on the Maasdam to Alaska in July and wondering if its' thermal pool is as good as the other ships (did on the newer ships and loved)  We have been on the Maasdam before, and they didn't then have a thermal.  Anyone done this on Maasdam?

The Maasdam and the other smaller ships don't have the thermal pool. It's the one thing I don't like about the R and S class ships. 

8 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

The Maasdam and the other smaller ships don't have the thermal pool. It's the one thing I don't like about the R and S class ships. 

Just to add, Maasdam and the other S & R ships have what is akin to a hot tub (not the thassolatherapy pool) and the thermal loungers.

It’s relaxing with nice views but much more limiting than the other ships (Vista class and above).

Though I usually do not buy a pass to the suite, I purchased one for our last cruise online prior to the cruise because of the great price they offered, and we got two for one at the discounted price.  I enjoyed it daily.  However, I would not have bothered except that our ports of call did not interest me (except HMC) so we took no shore excursions.