Are Towel Animals Important?

Lee77

Sure we enjoy the Towel Animals, the kids Love them, we have even bought the Towel 'stuffed' animals for the kids. We enjoy the surprises of what we'll find in the evening...and sure we'd be disappointed (momentarily) if we didn't get one. Would it ruin our vacation? NEVER!!

But, Lee, I have read the same kind of "Reviews" that people make a really big deal about not getting towel animals...somehow, for some reason, it puts a huge damper on their vacation. :confused: Kind of perplexes me the same way that people make a big deal out of worn carpeting. I just don't see why that ruins your vacation...

After 2 Carnival cruises with the towel animals which I love,our next cruise will be with Princess. I'm sure I'll miss those critters on the bed but the fresh water pools will compensate! Now if Princess only had lemonade!

Laura

From reading all the posts about towel animals . . . I guess the majority of those that posted don't like them . . . or at the very least, could care less whether one greeted them in the evening upon their return to their cabin. Sure hope Carnival isn't reading this thread . . . because for those of us that sort of smile when seeing one of these little critters sitting on our bed . . . this, like so many other little "special things" the cruise lines used to do to make their passengers happy . . . will soon become a thing of the past. Darn . . . I remember when one didn't have to pay for soft drinks on a cruise . . . :(

Personally I really liked them and I'm 21 so not a little kid, but apparantly a little kid at heart (I do have simple pleasures much like the common five year old :)). It was fun to see what we'd get each night and I even bought one of the stuffed ones to bring home as a souvenir. I think I'd be disappointed if I didn't get one. My mom also bought the book but it looked a little complicated to me. Maybe when I'm at home from college next, I'll try my hand at it!

To me they are one of the nice cruise memories. I *think* I may have gotten one or two on Princess as well. We usually take pictures of them, and I've even gone to the towel animal lessons.

I made a cat for our bed and my DH died laughing when he came home and saw it.

On the other hand, if they are not there, I'm not upset, as long as the room has been tidied, I'm more than thrilled.

LOL!!! I am gonna try that tonight! We LOVE the towel animals and have pics of every one from our first cruise. (ok, so my co-workers were board looking at so many pics of my bed...) DH likes to learn the napkin folding at dinner and fold the blankets for our room steward the next morning. We always get a kick out of the towel animals, and our kids have only been on 2 of our cruises. *Ü*

I personally love seeing what inventive thing our cabin steward has come up with. Important? no, not really important but a nice touch if the cabin steward has time to make one.

We got to talk to one of our stewards more than normal on a 14 day sailing last year and he says he does them when he has time, and drops them if he's pressed for time. They're definitely not "required" by the line, but rather something that each individual steward decides to do on his own, if there's extra time left to do it. It probably affects his tip, I know I tip more if we get excellent service, and excellent service AND towel animals gets even more tip than excellent service alone.

I still can't get over my first cruise on NCL tho, when the little old lady across the hall from us came back to her first towel "creature" and said "OH MY!!! excuse me, I thought this was my cabin" and closed the door. we were standing in our door and everyone burst out laughing when we all realized what had happened, in the dim light it really did look like a small person reading.

Garrick

The first night on our last cruise we did not have a towel animal, the next morning everyone else in my family (the kids) were talking about their towels - believe it or not my teens were disappointed. I ran into the cabin stewart and mentioned it to him, every night there after we had an animal or two! We bought the towel book one night and used all the towels making animals and left them in the room when we went to eat! The stewart made a few more. My kids (and I) got such a kick out of it!

I enjoyed them on my Celebrity cruise, but I didn't even realize until I read this thread that there weren't any on our Princess cruise. What I did miss while I was on Princess was the nicely folded napkins at dinner that Celebrity waiters were so proud to create.

ok, so i am a very old kid. 30-something again!! I love them......even went to the class on how to make them, after consuming a few too many free rum punches and pina coladas. (hey, when a hurricane messes with you, RC gave us an hour of free booze...and some of the servers practically forced you to take 2 or 3 or 4 at a time! lol!)

on the 1st cruise i had a whole zoo...the cabin attendant thought i was nuts. on the 2nd cruise, the most i had at a time was 2.

they are sooo cute.

Not having a towel animal doesn't "spoil the whole cruise", but it does make me wonder if others are getting them, but our steward can't be bothered or if the cruise line no longer offers the animals and has just cut out yet another perk.

Yes, it may be a burden to create the animals each night, but then it must be a burden for waiters to place clean table cloths on the tables each night and fold napkins. It may be a burden for waiters in the Windjammer to bring you coffee or ice tea or clear the tables. It may be a burden for the laundry to wash towels regularly and for others to keep the brass stair rails polished. It definitely has to be a burden for those who hang off the outside of the ship to wash windows and paint what is needed.

If the ships stop services and amenities that are burdensome, soon we'll be sailing in a "fast food" style ship with paper napkins, clearing our own tables and doing our own laundry and linens. Maybe that would be OK if the price goes down accordingly.

Archived