Remote Desktop / VNC / VPN on Wi-Fi

shades168

Hey all,

I have a cruise coming up in a few weeks and I have the Premium WiFi package. I'm the Network Engineer for a ISP/Cable Company. Every now and then I need to check our monitoring system (HTTPS, shouldn't have any issues with that). I also need to help our techs with router & CMTS configs (Telnet or SSH - not sure if these will work).

Occasionally I have to remote into our tech's laptops and help them figure something out. For this I use Splashtop Business. It uses port 443, but it isn't traditional HTTPS. Has anyone successfully/recently used Splashtop, TeamViewer, VNC or any other remote desktop app? If someone can confirm say VNC or TeamViewer works, I'll set it up on my work computer then remote to it. From there I can use Splashtop to get into whatever I need. I also have the ability to setup a VPN server before I go. I read somewhere someone was able to setup a SSL based VPN on port 443.

I also have security cameras on my home. I can access it over HTTP/HTTPS but does anyone know if it will block the video? If I can solve the remote access issue that will let me check the cameras at least. I have two kitties I like to check up on 🙂

I wish that I didn't have to even worry about work but I'm the only one capable in the company working on the infrastructure stuff. Most of the stuff I have to deal with is command line so I can deal with the slow/laggy satellite connection. In a normal week I only spend 30 min to an hour on these tasks but the second I'm "unavailable" I know everything will hit the fan lol.

Thanks!

I have sucessfully VPN'd into my office using our VPN client while on Carnival.  In addition, I can see the video feed from my office cameras with no issue (usually).  The caveat is that it is harder on sea days, when everyone is using the Wi-Fi.  I have not tried TeamViewer or VNC specifically.  We use the SonicWall VPN client.

I have been able to hook up to work via our VPN but the connection is way too slow to do some of the stuff I do on land.  The group I manage provides manufacturing process recipes and the system that creates and updates the recipes has to communicate with 2 separate SQL servers and well as machine HMIs and the satellite connection is just too slow to accomplish the tasks without a time-out.

Carnival blocks some, but not others. I want to say Teamviewer was blocked when I tried it (but that depends on my memory from a couple of years ago).  In November I didn't have any issues connecting to my office, but don't recall if I used Windows Remote Desktop or Anydesk (which is free, but like Teamviewer really only for personal use when free) as I have both.  Anydesk definitely worked in the past, I just don't remember which I used last time.  I was able to view my Ring camera.

It can be way too slow to effectively work though.

6 hours ago, EllaDuChien said:

I have sucessfully VPN'd into my office using our VPN client while on Carnival.  In addition, I can see the video feed from my office cameras with no issue (usually).  The caveat is that it is harder on sea days, when everyone is using the Wi-Fi.  I have not tried TeamViewer or VNC specifically.  We use the SonicWall VPN client.

I have used Team Viewer and it works. 

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I’ll set up a few VPN options and install TeamViewer on my PC so I have a few ways in. I’ll post after my cruise with what worked and how well. A few of our remote towers have HughesNet for out of band management so I’m used to the latency; a highly congested high latency connection will probably be a different story haha. I’m a lot more patient with a strong drink in my hand so that will help.  

I’m kind of a night owl so I may have better luck doing it at 3am when most are asleep. Or at port on my cell hotspot. Hopefully won’t even need to remote in, I just want the piece of mind that I can 🙂

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

I know this is several years old, but curious what ended up working best for you.   I have 7 cruises scheduled in the next 2 years.  I work remotely for several dental offices, so I need to be able to access their computers at least a few times while cruising.   We use Barracuda currently and I didn't have success connecting during my first "test" cruise a few weeks ago on the Radiance.  I'm wondering if Splashtop or Anydesk would work.