RER Train from CDG into Paris ??

klfrodo

How did I mess up or what did I do wrong?

I bought a paper ticket from a kiosk at CDG to take the RER train into Paris during a layover.

I, of course, used the paper ticket to get through the turnstile to get to the train.

Enjoyed the train ride.

Got off the train at Chatelet-Les Halles

Attempted to use my paper ticket to exit the station but it would reject my ticket and the gates wouldn't open.

I tried various combinations of reversing the ticket, turning it upside down, etc. It would always reject my ticket.

So, I went to the information desk. Me: Bonjour, je ne parlez pas francie. Parles vous English? ,,, Them: NO Me (inside my head): Damn, now what do I do?

So, I went back to the gates, waited for someone else to exit with their card and I slid through with them....

Anyway, what did I do wrong? or how can I keep this from possibly happening during my next visit.

1 hour ago, klfrodo said:

How did I mess up or what did I do wrong?

I bought a paper ticket from a kiosk at CDG to take the RER train into Paris during a layover.

I, of course, used the paper ticket to get through the turnstile to get to the train.

Enjoyed the train ride.

Got off the train at Chatelet-Les Halles

Attempted to use my paper ticket to exit the station but it would reject my ticket and the gates wouldn't open.

I tried various combinations of reversing the ticket, turning it upside down, etc. It would always reject my ticket.

So, I went to the information desk. Me: Bonjour, je ne parlez pas francie. Parles vous English? ,,, Them: NO Me (inside my head): Damn, now what do I do?

So, I went back to the gates, waited for someone else to exit with their card and I slid through with them....

Anyway, what did I do wrong? or how can I keep this from possibly happening during my next visit.

Hmmm ... odd. Are you certain that you purchased an RER ticket to Paris? Do you recall the color of the machine from which you purchased your ticket? Is it possible that you purchased the RER to Versailles or Disneyland?

Edited by dogs4fun

12 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Hmmm ... odd. Are you certain that you purchased an RER ticket to Paris? Do you recall the color of the machine from which you purchased your ticket? Is it possible that you purchased the RER to Versailles or Disneyland?

I'm not going to say it's not possible. I'm only human. I fully accept that the mistake is on me, I'm just trying to figure out what that mistake was so I can correct it next summer.

Was my original method correct? To get to the train I was to run my card through the turnstile and the gates open? And to exit the station, I was supposed to run my ticket again for the turnstile to open?

I only had a 9 hour layover. I had just arrived from the States and was continuing on. I was beat, dead dog tired. After walking around for a couple of hours, I paid a taxi to take me back out to the airport.

41 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

I'm not going to say it's not possible. I'm only human. I fully accept that the mistake is on me, I'm just trying to figure out what that mistake was so I can correct it next summer.

Was my original method correct? To get to the train I was to run my card through the turnstile and the gates open? And to exit the station, I was supposed to run my ticket again for the turnstile to open?

I only had a 9 hour layover. I had just arrived from the States and was continuing on. I was beat, dead dog tired. After walking around for a couple of hours, I paid a taxi to take me back out to the airport.

It sounds like you did everything correctly (with the exception of attempting to run your ticket multiple times). I asked only because RER stations often require the use of tickets and passes while exiting RER stations, using the same turnstile barriers as when entering, but in reverse. This is a measure against travelers paying less than the appropriate fare for their travel. 

Here are the instructions that I use & I have no problems.

*Turnstiles or gates are usually marked with either green lights & arrows or red circular lights and X’s. Only green marked turnstiles can be used for entry. The red marked gates are for exiting passengers.

*Certain turnstiles are reserved for Navigo pass card holders. Navigo reserved barriers are marked on the front usually with a ticket crossed out. There is also no ticket slot on these reserved turnstiles and access will only be given to Navigo pass card holders.

*Most turnstiles/barriers have a small ticket slot on your right side when entering a turnstile. Insert your ticket into the slot, magnetic stripe down. The ticket will be read for validity and ejected for you to retrieve near the top of the turnstile. You must retrieve the ticket before the gate or turnstile will open or operate.

*If you’re using a double door barrier gate, after inserting your ticket, approach the gates, retrieve your ticket from the top and wait patiently for the gate to open, then pass through. These gate style barriers can often be slow in opening. But, do not back out and try your ticket again as tickets can only be successfully used for entry once, which prevents ticket “pass-back”. Simply stand close enough to trigger an electronic eye which senses the presence of a traveler.

Hope the above helps.

Edited by dogs4fun
  • Like 1

Very helpful. Thank you

Is it possible???

Let's say at the exit there are only 4 exit turnstiles. Is it possible that 3 are for Navigo and only 1 is for paper ticket??? I'm reaching, I know. Maybe I didn't notice the difference and I would place my ticket in the Navigo slot, the machine retrieved it, then spit it back out at me.

Anyway, your explanation has helped and I appreciate your willingness to help.

Thanks again!