Carnival Breeze to Fort walk

Acheavacci

2 hours ago, Acheavacci said:

Can anyone provide info on the best route to walk to the closest fort from the Carnival port?  I did a google map but I worry that it is not best for pedestrians walking.

From the dock by the Sheraton you really have two ways you can go-- along the waterfront outside the walls of the fort or through town to get to the large park that leads to the fort from behind. Personally I would go through town and enter the fort where most tourists do rather than having to walk all the way around it along the water. That route will take you longer to get inside the fort itself. 

If you're going with a stroller I'd recommend you take Paseo de la Princesa along the city wall up to the old (red) city gate. Cross the door and take a left on Calle de la Defensa and another left on Caleta de las Monjas (on the corner where the Rogativa monument is located). Keep on that street until you reach a fork and keep right all the way up to El Morro. Those streets have little to no traffic most of the time so you'll be able to walk on them with the stroller with no problem. They are paved, except for Calle de la Defensa, where you'll use the sidewalk. The about 100 feet you'll walk on Calle de la Defensa are the steepest part of the walk. It's mostly uphill from the city gate on, but it's very manageable, especially with the stroller. Yes, there are ways through the city but traffic is usually heavy, streets are cobblestone and sidewalks are basically two-person wide at a lot of places. If you want to stroll through the city, I'd do it on the return trip, downhill. Even with the narrow sidewalks, it's an easy stroll. That way you can stop by the pigeon park at the bottom end of Calle del Cristo and hand feed the pigeons for $1 (the price of  bag of corn or aptly named pigeon peas).

On 1/24/2020 at 3:45 PM, Acheavacci said:

Can anyone provide info on the best route to walk to the closest fort from the Carnival port?  I did a google map but I worry that it is not best for pedestrians walking.  Thanks. 

San Juan is very walk-able. The reply above gives you an idea for a less-strenuous way to reach fort El Morro from the piers. To reach San Cristobal (which is much closer to port) the walk is a bit more demanding since you'd have to cross a few streets, up some steps, etc. Not the best for a stroller like a poster above asked but for anyone else, it's quite easier.

From the piers, take the street to the right of the Sheraton hotel north, cross the street and up a few steps and keep north on that street until you see the fort in front of you, a bit to the right. Once at the corner where the fort is located you have one of two ways in: Take the street to the left and tackle the steep uphill walk to the main entrance at the top or walk right towards the fort parking lot, about 50 feet away. Walk up the parking lot to the lower entrance. You will take an elevator to an upper level and walk up a ramp on the inside of the fort and enjoy from there. It should take you no more than 15 minutes or leisurely walking to reach the fort from the pier.