Pre cruise hotel options-grocery store nearby?

Gatordad815

Hello all! We are a family of 4 with two young kids. Our daughter has celiac disease and must eat gluten free, so I’m thinking a hotel close walking distance to a grocery store would be best, in case we can’t find Celiac-friendly restaurants. We would love a nice pool and beach access too with the kids. The hotel that stands out as checking all the boxes is Marriott Stellaris, but I’m having a hard time swallowing the price tag of $400 per night (with resort fees and taxes) for 2 nights.

I’ve looked also at Embassy Suites, which looks like a nice alternative that checks the same boxes (a few blocks from the beach) for about $300 a night inclusive. Still not what I’d consider a “deal”, but more palatable.  

The Hilton Plaza Condado has good rates since it’s renovating (about $200 a night inclusive), but there’s nowhere I can see to get our daughter food nearby, so I think it’s ruled out.

Do you all have any other recommendations for a San Juan Hotel for a family with small children, whose priorities are, in order: 1) easy access to gluten free food; 2) beach access; 3) a decent pool; 4) somewhat affordable. (I know “affordable” is relative. I’d pay the $300 a night at Embassy if necessary but wow that seems expensive to me!)

Thanks for any input on this very specific inquiry.

46 minutes ago, Traveling Library said:

The Doubletree is across the street  from a grocery. It is a few blocks from the beach. It has a pool. 

Thank you! I’ve looked at the Doubletree also but they aren’t allowing Friday or Saturday night check-ins; they’re only allowing people to book the weekend if they check in Thursday and spend 3 nights. That hotel looks like it would suit our needs well though! Hopefully they’ll relax the minimum stay requirements as it gets closer to the trip, as I think that would be an ideal hotel for us and it’s slightly less than Embassy Suites.

You might want to try VRBO.com  for a condo rental some rentals allow 1 night stay for the perfect condo look for the Marbella East or West  its in Isla Verde right on ocean,  swimming pool 2 block walk to grocery store Walgreens right across street lots of restaurants close by might be an option for you. We are staying in the East building post cruise in March will be our second time staying there and we love it 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, wingnut2005 said:

You might want to try VRBO.com  for a condo rental some rentals allow 1 night stay for the perfect condo look for the Marbella East or West  its in Isla Verde right on ocean,  swimming pool 2 block walk to grocery store Walgreens right across street lots of restaurants close by might be an option for you. We are staying in the East building post cruise in March will be our second time staying there and we love it 

Thanks! I looked at Vrbo today for the first time & there appear to be many options, though none at Marbella for a 2 night stay. But it definitely opened my eyes to some interesting (and more affordable) options I didn’t know about-thanks for the suggestion!

We had the same issue in finding a hotel for one night pre cruise with many hotels requiring a minimum two night stay. We are three couples travelling together and first time actually staying in San Juan for an overnight vs a port of call. 

Our travel agent after searching many locations for us found the Costa Bahia Hotel Paseo Caribe   

Reviews seem to be hit or miss but location is good and we are only there for one night, and the prices were reasonable. Maybe worth investigating.

12 hours ago, Gatordad815 said:

Thanks! I looked at Vrbo today for the first time & there appear to be many options, though none at Marbella for a 2 night stay. But it definitely opened my eyes to some interesting (and more affordable) options I didn’t know about-thanks for the suggestion!

Your welcome and I hope you find something if Coral seas condo and ESJ Azul are available for your dates there nice units also and you can also try Air B&B for properties 

enjoy your cruise

On 1/25/2020 at 1:08 AM, wingnut2005 said:

Shhhhh lol

21 hours ago, mommao729 said:

I hope that’s not the case. I’ve had reservations at the doubletree for months. For one night before our cruise in March. 

I booked through the 800 number and they never said anything about having to stay 3 nights. 

If they let you book it you’ll be fine. It’s just right now for the weekend we are going, they are not allowing stays fewer than 3 nights, so 1 and 2 night stays can’t even be booked on their website or over the phone. But that’s specific to our weekend, not an across the board policy. 

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I was able to get a better deal at embassy suites for roughly $200 a night so I booked that. While not a bargain, compared to the going rates at other hotels, it’s a good deal for a nice place to stay.  This hotel checks all our boxes (beach access nearby, nice pool, and grocery store), and since we have never been to San Juan, I like the idea of a reputable hotel. So I’m happy with what we ended up with! I still have plenty of time to look at other options, but this is a really good option for our family. Thanks again!

• Like 1