Crown Princess visit Stockholm

tsutt35

I have checked the port website and it appears we will dock at STADSGÅRDEN on 8 June. From what I can find this is reasonably close to the old town and should be able to be walked in 30-40 minutes. Has anyone cruised Princess, docked at this port and done the town on their own? We aren't big on group tours and I am hoping that we can explore on feet. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Stockholm is easy for DIY.  If your ship will dock at Stadsgården (subject to change depending on weather circumstances) this is my recommended route (Folkungatan->Erstagatan->Fjällgatan->Katarinavägen):

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/59.3154954,18.0949147/59.3158938,18.0900278/59.3171536,18.0894409/59.3174987,18.0831699/59.3220811,18.0726708/@59.3190682,18.0806606,930m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!4m1!3e2

It's more scenic and much less traffic compared to walking along Stadsgårdsleden.

Edited by Desdichado62

You are so lucky! It’s the best port in Stockholm, I mean it has the best location. You won’t have any problems to walk to the historical center (Gamla Stan). We docked in Nynäshamn and had to take a train to the city center. 

Jess

4 hours ago, CrazyJess said:

You are so lucky! It’s the best port in Stockholm, I mean it has the best location. You won’t have any problems to walk to the historical center (Gamla Stan). We docked in Nynäshamn and had to take a train to the city center. 

Jess

Well, I'd argue that Skeppbron is a notch better though. 😉

The public transportation system in Stockholm is amazing, and we were able to easily transverse the city with a 3 year old in tow.  

You might want to do some basic research on transport from Nynashamn as a backup, since ships are diverted there if there is wind or adverse docking conditions.  Hopefully you won't need it and will get the beautiful sail in, but its best to give some thought ahead of time since you can get a sense of the pros and cons while you aren't stressed trying to get to stockholm as quickly as possible if the ship is diverted that morning.  

8 hours ago, CrazyJess said:

Jess

Did you do the train on your own? Can you give me a brief rundown of what involved and how long etc. 

In June 2017 on my Crown Princess Baltic Heritage cruise we docked at Stadsgarten S167 in Stockholm. It was an easy 25 minute walk along a marked footpath to Gamla Stan. We had a lovely day walking around the old city, watching the changing of the guard at the palace and doing a little shopping. The sail in and out was beautiful and not to be missed. 

Hope you have a wonderful cruise. 😊