Open letter to Carnival: step up your LGBT game, please

knagl

I just returned from the Carnival Radiance. They had an LGBTQ meet-up every night at 9:00 in the Alchemy Bar. The Piano Bar was shuttered, so it was pretty quiet other than the karaoke in the next bar over. 

I'm back from a four-night cruise on the Carnival Radiance. My tenth -and last- Carnival cruise. On the plus side, they did list an LGBT gathering every evening in the Alchemy Bar at 9:00. I met four men the first night, but never saw anyone the other evenings. Nothing wrong with the time or the place -it's not Carnival's fault that the passengers weren't into the meet-up.

That said, it was easily the worst cruise I've ever been on. I didn't like the ship, the food was terrible, and their new policy is to never seat single travelers with other people, so I had to eat dinner alone at a table for two. I was even told, "If you want to socialize, next time travel with a friend." Not a policy or attitude that will get me back aboard a Carnival ship.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2022 at 11:51 AM, fshepinc said:

I'm back from a four-night cruise on the Carnival Radiance. My tenth -and last- Carnival cruise. On the plus side, they did list an LGBT gathering every evening in the Alchemy Bar at 9:00. I met four men the first night, but never saw anyone the other evenings. Nothing wrong with the time or the place -it's not Carnival's fault that the passengers weren't into the meet-up.

That said, it was easily the worst cruise I've ever been on. I didn't like the ship, the food was terrible, and their new policy is to never seat single travelers with other people, so I had to eat dinner alone at a table for two. I was even told, "If you want to socialize, next time travel with a friend." Not a policy or attitude that will get me back aboard a Carnival ship.

I got off the Carnival Spirit yesterday and as a solo traveler I had no issues getting shared tables for all my dining room meals.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2022 at 9:43 PM, MiamiSpartan said:

The gathering is usually at 10pm…too many other activities going on at that time. 

For some of us older folks, that is too late.  We were on Princess recently and it was at 5pm on the first day, then 10 thereafter. 

• Like 2

On 7/12/2022 at 3:47 PM, Kosh III said:

For some of us older folks, that is too late.  We were on Princess recently and it was at 5pm on the first day, then 10 thereafter. 

Not just older folks! My husband and I (Millennials) are typically in bed by 9 PM...but that's due to being used to a 5 AM wakeup every day. 😞 

• Like 1

I think the time matters for sure. I was on Freedom (RCL) and the meetup was every night at 10pm at the wine bar. Also at 10pm was the second seating of the nightly entertainment and right after that would be the nightly party (silent disco, etc.). I never got a chance to attend the meetup because there were always other things going on that I wanted to do, and they didn't have any alternate meetup times or locations.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, notscb said:

I think the time matters for sure. I was on Freedom (RCL) and the meetup was every night at 10pm at the wine bar. Also at 10pm was the second seating of the nightly entertainment and right after that would be the nightly party (silent disco, etc.). I never got a chance to attend the meetup because there were always other things going on that I wanted to do, and they didn't have any alternate meetup times or locations.

Only day the Carnival Spirit didn’t have an 8pm meet up was the day when the port visit was from 8p-12a

• 3 weeks later...

I agree, it would be helpful if there was someone to lead the lead/coordinate the meeting. It can be intimidating to show up at the Alchemy bar and not know if the 2 guys sitting there are there for the LGBT meetup or if they are going to insult you. On 2 previous cruises, I passed by the bar, but didn't stop. This past May, I was on Conquest and made it a point to speak with whomever was there. This did lead to a rather hilarious exchange with a group of str8 guys who wanted to know which of them I would pick.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4