Lugage valet with Southwest - Special case

angelhelly

Our Southwest flight out of FLL leaves around 4pm.

Anyway, I would like to do luggage valet so we can enjoy a lunch somewhere before heading to the airport.

One of us can only check in at the airport (long story, due to the type of ticket)

Can I just check in one of us for the luggage valet? I plan to have 3 suitcase, 2 big one and a carry on. I would use the luggage valet for me to send the big suitcases through, and I would check in our carry-on (which we wouldn't need to carry on anymore at this point...Would contain toiletries which can't get on the plane) when we get to the airport.

Thanks!

Edited by angelhelly

We used the luggage valet on our last cruise and flew Southwest.  Since your ticket allows you 2 free checked bags definitely take advantage of the valet!  Our flight was 5pm so later flights are included in the service.  When your checking in the ticket at the airport you will get the option to check another 2 bags for that ticketed passenger.  It is the best money spent to allow you a free day in Fort Lauderdale.  Hope that helps!

• Like 1

Yes, you can just purchase the Luggage Valet for one person....the one that can check in ahead of time.    

We tend to pack light so, we always purchase this for just one of us anyway.  

It may actually even be better if you are booked under different confirmation numbers, so as not to be refused for the luggage valet altogether for both of you.  I read on these boards that the airport check in requirement did not work well with luggage valet.  So, if your names are both on the same booking number, this might cause a problem for you both.  If your flight hasn't gone up, I know Southwest will allow you to rebook it as two separate bookings.  Do it all online as to not be caught with any extra charges, though. 

And, since you won't need your carry on items any longer, maybe you can just  pack those items into the two checked bags  ...  Maybe get a cheap lightweight or fold-able carry on for embarkation that you can pack inside one of your larger pieces of luggage for disembarkation.  The great thing about luggage valet is that your bags don't have to weigh under 50 pounds.  I wouldn't push it much past the 65 lb mark, but, if you can make the extra stuff from the carry on fit into your two larger bags, it will save you from carrying that around as well.