Do any Canadians own Shares in Princess Cruises (Carnival Corp)?

Song in my heart

On 1/27/2020 at 1:17 PM, Song in my heart said:

I am wondering what the tax implications are for Canadians owning shares.  Can someone who has owned them for a couple of years help me out?  We are going on a few Princess Cruises that I would love to get the OBC.

We are Canadian and own shares outside of RRSP or TFSA.  The dividend income shows up as from Panama on the tax slip so no double taxation, just Canadian rates for dividends.  We hold outside so as to have easy use of the income.

Edited by hobbyfarmer2
  • Thanks 1

When you get paid a dividend, your broker will most like withhold taxes on the dividend(assuming you are holding the security outside of your RRSP/TSFA.   You will get the net of the amount of the dividend less any withholding tax.  When you get your T5, it will reflect that.   It makes your tax return a bit more complicated, but if you use tax software to file your taxes, they make it very easy! 

Well worth holding 100 shares to get the shareholder credit, along with the nice dividend (around 4%) that you get as well.

• Thanks 1

I purchased 100 shares today and put them in my TFSA and filled out the forms for Princess.  I faxed them off so I will check in a week my cruise to see if they gave me the OBC.  I also applied online for a new veterans card.  Once I have that I will fill out the Princess forms and send them a copy.

Thank you everyone for your information.

• Like 1