Pearl Mini suite vs balcony

We are in the bidding process on the Pearl. We booked an OV so we can bid on a balcony or mini suite. Just trying to figure out how much more we’d be willing to pay for a mini suite. Is size the only difference?  I know neither comes with Haven perks.  It’s hard to even go by size alone since it gives ranges. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Many of the mini suites on the Jewel-class ships, including the Pearl, are under the noisy public spaces of Deck 12.  Personally, I would not want one unless I could pick the location, which would not be the case with a bid.  Also, please know that the mini suites have a tub/shower combination; the tub wall is extremely high and the tub is no fun to climb in and out of, especially on a moving ship.

On the Jewel class ships the mini suites are an upgrade from a standard balcony. The bathroom is larger with the commode separated from the rest of the bathroom by a sliding door and a shower/bath tub combination that is quite nice. (short passengers have posted an issue with stepping over the tub to get in)

The cabin itself is only slightly larger but does have more storage than a standard balcony cabin. A curtain is in place to separate the bed in the middle of the cabin from the sitting area near the balcony. Since the sitting area is where a third or fourth passenger will sleep this can be useful with more than two in cabin. The balcony is the same width as the balcony cabins but is 50% deeper which is quite nice.

I like these mini suites but I'm not sure I would bid for one. They are located on deck 11 beneath the pool/spa/buffet. I am careful to select exactly what I am under and I'm not sure I would leave that decision to the vagaries of the bidding process where I am stuck with the assignment.

2 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Many of the mini suites on the Jewel-class ships, including the Pearl, are under the noisy public spaces of Deck 12.  Personally, I would not want one unless I could pick the location, which would not be the case with a bid.  Also, please know that the mini suites have a tub/shower combination; the tub wall is extremely high and the tub is no fun to climb in and out of, especially on a moving ship.

I loved the tub in the mini suite. My daughters' had their own mini suite and they both took advantage of the tub too. The weather on my cruise in December was awful so I took a drink and book to my tub a couple of times. 

• Like 1

Loved the Pearl.   We stayed in a mini suite on the Pearl, it was on the 11th floor.   (i think all mini suites are on the 11th floor on that ship unless it changed with a refurbishment) and it was nice.  That being said we were careful when picking a cabin since the 12th floor has a lot of activity (kids club, garden cafe, pool etc) and we wanted to (and did) avoid noise from above .  

I believe the main difference between mini and balcony is that the couch in the mini is longer and it had  a curtain you could pull over to separate the couch from the bed area.   Also the bathroom is bigger with a bathtub.....but kinda a deep tub which was quite high to step into. 

Then next Jewell class ship we sailed on (Gem) we opted for a balcony room ( to avoid the tub) and was very satisfied.  The couch was smaller but it didnt matter to us.  

i would opt for the balcony room on that ship 

Best of luck and enjoy 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

I’m tall so the tub/shower combo wouldn’t be an issue. Not sure about location though. Thanks for your feedback!

35 minutes ago, Paul Bogle said:

On the Jewel class ships the mini suites are an upgrade from a standard balcony. The bathroom is larger with the commode separated from the rest of the bathroom by a sliding door and a shower/bath tub combination that is quite nice. (short passengers have posted an issue with stepping over the tub to get in)

The cabin itself is only slightly larger but does have more storage than a standard balcony cabin. A curtain is in place to separate the bed in the middle of the cabin from the sitting area near the balcony. Since the sitting area is where a third or fourth passenger will sleep this can be useful with more than two in cabin. The balcony is the same width as the balcony cabins but is 50% deeper which is quite nice.

I like these mini suites but I'm not sure I would bid for one. They are located on deck 11 beneath the pool/spa/buffet. I am careful to select exactly what I am under and I'm not sure I would leave that decision to the vagaries of the bidding process where I am stuck with the assignment.

A separate commode would be nice with only one bathroom, as would extra storage and the deeper balcony. We are early risers while cruising so location wouldn’t be a big deal unless it was loud late at night. 

38 minutes ago, McFins said:

Loved the Pearl.   We stayed in a mini suite on the Pearl, it was on the 11th floor.   (i think all mini suites are on the 11th floor on that ship unless it changed with a refurbishment) and it was nice.  That being said we were careful when picking a cabin since the 12th floor has a lot of activity (kids club, garden cafe, pool etc) and we wanted to (and did) avoid noise from above .  

I believe the main difference between mini and balcony is that the couch in the mini is longer and it had  a curtain you could pull over to separate the couch from the bed area.   Also the bathroom is bigger with a bathtub.....but kinda a deep tub which was quite high to step into. 

Then next Jewell class ship we sailed on (Gem) we opted for a balcony room ( to avoid the tub) and was very satisfied.  The couch was smaller but it didnt matter to us.  

i would opt for the balcony room on that ship 

Best of luck and enjoy 

Thank you!  You have all been helpful. 

I like to book the mini-suites because we have 2 (nearly) teens in the room with us and the dividing curtain is a must. However, this will be our first NCL cruise and I didn't pay any attention to location when I selected our cabin and now have discovered it is under the kids club. Fingers crossed it isn't too noisy.

Will be cruising with you in April.  I frankly think you'll be just as happy in a balcony suite as compared to the mini.  We've sailed in both and haven't preferred one over the other in the gem class.  I always over pack and somehow I find a place for everything.

Looking forward meeting you. Linda 

4 minutes ago, lknelson said:

Will be cruising with you in April.  I frankly think you'll be just as happy in a balcony suite as compared to the mini.  We've sailed in both and haven't preferred one over the other in the gem class.  I always over pack and somehow I find a place for everything.

Looking forward meeting you. Linda 

I’m certainly leaning that way,  I will speak to my husband tonight.  Hopefully we get one of them, but you never know. I look forward to meeting you too. 

1 hour ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Why would they put mini suites in undesirable locations?  It will just be my husband and I so I’m thinking we should bid on the balcony, although the extra space sounded nice. 

Unfortunately, many ships, and not just on NCL, have otherwise desirable cabins in what, to me at least, are undesirable locations. And by giving the mini-suites a confusing name that has “suites” in it even though these staterooms are not suites for purposes of suite privileges and benefits, I think NCL has tried to make these cabins seem more desirable than they are.  Certainly the name has confused many folks here on CC, as the question about suite privileges is often asked.  

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

And by giving the mini-suites a confusing name that has “suites” in it even though these staterooms are not suites for purposes of suite privileges and benefits, I think NCL has tried to make these cabins seem more desirable than they are.  Certainly the name has confused many folks here on CC, as the question about suite privileges is often asked.  

Many lines do this as well!  If it came with the suite perks, it would cost much more so people should realize that they don't.