Premium internet plan, pre-purchased, Rotterdam

gadgetlady

We are cruising 2/24 out of FLL on the Rotterdam.  I pre-purchased the unlimited internet premium package for $200.  The notes I took from the phone conversation I had with HAL say there is no data limit (obviously speeds may be slow) and we can connect up to 5 devices but only one at a time.

Does anyone know if we can use the devices all over the ship or only in our stateroom, and if we have to sign into the app to use the internet?  We are planning to share across 5 devices in 2 staterooms (a few doors away from each other).  I'm concerned that if we have to use the app, everyone will need to sign in with the same account information and then we won't be able to use the other functions of the app, such as on-board chat, because we'll all be signed in as the same person.

Also, can anyone confirm that it is indeed: 1) unlimited data, and 2) 5 devices?

We were hoping to possibly connect a 6th device using a hotspot, but it appears from reading other threads that we won't be able to do that.

I'm not sure how to link to an earlier topic so I suggest you go the search box above, type in the word internet, search in this forum, and the second result will give you lots of information with recent changes, as well as cost. I am cutting and pasting from that topic titled something like "Now up to four devices!!"--

(Ha, I figured out how to attach the link! Just click on the box above where it says Internet plans: now with up to four devices!)

Edited by oceanmom

On 1/29/2020 at 7:53 PM, oceanmom said:

I am cutting and pasting from that topic titled something like "Now up to four devices!!"--

Thank you!  I did see that thread but it didn't seem to answer all of my questions.  I will read it again tonight a little more carefully.

We have used multiple devices on the ship's internet.   But only one person at a time can use the internet - at least that was the way in November.  I believe you can pay more now to use additional devices.  The person wanting to use the internet has to log out as him/herself, and log in again as the person who "owns" the internet package.   Then when finished, would have to log out again and log in as him/herself.  It does mean that when someone other than the person with the internet package is on line, he can't access his own account, etc., or check Chat or dinner plans, etc.  How long would you want to be on the internet, or want other to be using your internet?  You are given the opportunity to "bump" someone who is on line, but they do have to log out again to have access to their own intranet.

You can use the internet anywhere on board, but some areas are better than others.  There are "cones" in the ceiling that are the best locations.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vict0riann said:

We have used multiple devices on the ship's internet.   But only one person at a time can use the internet - at least that was the way in November.  I believe you can pay more now to use additional devices.  The person wanting to use the internet has to log out as him/herself, and log in again as the person who "owns" the internet package.   Then when finished, would have to log out again and log in as him/herself.  It does mean that when someone other than the person with the internet package is on line, he can't access his own account, etc., or check Chat or dinner plans, etc.  How long would you want to be on the internet, or want other to be using your internet?  You are given the opportunity to "bump" someone who is on line, but they do have to log out again to have access to their own intranet.

You can use the internet anywhere on board, but some areas are better than others.  There are "cones" in the ceiling that are the best locations.

Thank you.  I was told only one person can use it at a time, which is fine for us.  Mainly we just want to download email to each of our phones a few times a day.  However, on one of the days we will need to use the internet extensively to handle payroll (there is no such thing as a vacation for a business owner).  It would be preferable for us if we could use 6 devices total (4 people with phones, two people also have laptops).

According to that other thread, 5 can be on at once, as long as they are all logged in as you - if you have paid that additional amount.   That way, none of them, except you would be able to be on their own Chat, etc.  I don't know about that sixth person...

On re-reading your post, it sounds like not everyone would want to be on line at exactly the same time, so it would work, and you just have to "bump" each other.😎

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 1

We’ve used the Premium plan successfully  onboard the Zaandam. There  were some locations with better wi-fi coverage  but it worked all over the ship for us. 

The biggest problem was negotiating when the two of us would each be using the plan! My mind can’t comprehend the complexity of getting 5 users to cooperate. 

This time, aboard the Rotterdam we pre-purchased two independent Premium plans in the interest of family harmony!

I spoke to the Internet guru at HAL and learned that the Pre-cruise price of $200 advances to $250 once we weigh anchor (and hoist the mizzen!)

The lower plans were not discounted. The middle plan once aboard was priced at $180 for all 16 days. For the difference of $20 per plan I opted for the Premium. 

Let me add, the free HAL Navigator app allows free texting to others who have also downloaded it. However, I couldn’t figure out to set a notification beep or buzz, requiring constant manual checking. 

I see we share Internet and asthma (from a different thread!)

Gary

Edited by gmg613

On 2/1/2020 at 10:02 AM, gmg613 said:

...Let me add, the free HAL Navigator app allows free texting to others who have also downloaded it. However, I couldn’t figure out to set a notification beep or buzz, requiring constant manual checking. 

Gary,

The Navigator has no audible notification of incoming texts. Wisely! can you imagine the theatre, MDR, or even the Crows Nest with beeping going on constantly?