NCL(er) sailing the Vista Havana 2/22/20

graphicguy

On 2/18/2020 at 12:09 PM, wheelssilver said:

Yes, that's right  6am next day. Before free and package drinks kick in.  Heres another kicker to the pocketbook that Texas does to raise more money.  When you come back and immediately clear Customs (within 10 feet of Customs) Revenue Agents interview you and ask how many bottles of booze you bought and direct you to a cashier to pay a per bottle tax (2-4 Dollars a bottle) since they see you carrying the cardboard box with handles.  Better to put in your suitcase.

Just a mention that it would against the law to do this to avoid paying the tax.....but that is a personal decision to make.

To each his own.

Edited by CarolSW

Well....I’ve heard some of the Havana complaints.  Most are true.  In addition, the Havana pool has been closed both yesterday and today.  No one is sure when/if it will be opened.  😞

I’ll have a more thorough review of the Havana after the cruise.

06E4585D-8CD2-4529-BAC9-72E2BB32DA5D.jpeg

• Like 1

So, just wandering around.  Overall, this ship is beautiful, obviously clean, given it’s one of CCL’s new(er) ships.  Lots of good bars.  Had an absolute fabulous dinner at Cucina del Capitano.  I bought 3 extra cost dinners, and that was one of them.....Shrimp Papadelli and Gnocchi

B847E249-B58E-43FA-90B7-06818ACF0955.jpeg

Edited by graphicguy

Did the Thrill Theater yesterday.  $5.50 PP for about 15 minutes of what they call “4-D” experience.  Bottom line, they’re 3D shorts of varying intensity.  You get 3D cardboard glasses and the seats move, air is blasted at you and a water mist is sprayed at you at appropriate times in the movie.

I enjoyed it.  Some said they were super scared and some said it made them queasy.  So, try it if you don’t scare easily or are not prone to queasiness wearing 3D Glasses watching 3D movies.

2078BB1E-91C3-4F57-A567-163281FF2F5E.jpeg

• Like 1

Entertainment (so far)....kinda hit and miss.

The video of the 3 Violin/viola players who play by one of the main bars are outstanding.

Sailing out of Texas, I understand having a group who specializes on country music.  Not my cup of tea, but I understand.  I like just about all types of music. There’s a duo (can’t recall their name) who play at one of the main bars who seem to specialize in country music for octogenarians.  They started a few songs that I perked up for (some ZZ Top and Jerry Jeff Walker) but never played the songs, preferring to stick to the “I love my Dog, my Truck and the Girlfriend I cheated on” songs.  Again, probably just not my cup of tea.

It’s been mentioned that there is music in and around the Havana.  There’s a group with a terrific horn section and a Latin group....all good in their own right...IF (the proverbial IF) it weren’t for the female lead singer.  Saturday night, I heard them in my cabin until about 3:00 a.m.  Would have been tolerable except for the female singer’s “fingernails on chalkboard” voice.

Would behoove Carnival to probably put a tall glass partition to block the sound of the bands playing from the Havana cabins, as they’re playing every night, into the early a.m.  I’m not a stick in the mud, but this is one of the big problems with the Havana Balcony cabins.  

I’ve yet talked to any of my neighbors in the Havana who like this.  At least have better bands playing.

• Like 1

You seem to be enjoying yourself for the most part- The big question is did they open the pool yet? I would be bummed if it was closed especially since it was something you were looking forward to. Enjoy the rest of your cruise!

• Like 1

Thanks for posting and sharing your experience with us. I'd love to hear more about the issues you are having with the Havana area besides the pool being closed (which is HUGE). We are booked in a Havana room in a few months.

Enjoy your cruise!!

• Like 1

I am VERY MUCH enjoying myself.  I haven’t been to the Havana Pool yet today.  We’re docked at the Cozumel “Zoo” and I just stopped at a local joint (after pressing bodies to wind out of the Entrance Maze) to get a taco and cerveza!

Havana Balcony Cabins?  I’ll post more later about my thoughts.  Generally speaking, think of it as a standard balcony cabin with a porch for a balcony (one that anyone can peak into if your drapes are open).  It happens to be close by to some hot tuns and a pool (so far, has not been open) that has limited access to include only Havana guests during the day.  At night, they open up to anyone.

Is the service better?  No!  But service all over the ship has been quite good!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

I am VERY MUCH enjoying myself.  I haven’t been to the Havana Pool yet today.  We’re docked at the Cozumel “Zoo” and I just stopped at a local joint (after pressing bodies to wind out of the Entrance Maze) to get a taco and cerveza!

Havana Balcony Cabins?  I’ll post more later about my thoughts.  Generally speaking, think of it as a standard balcony cabin with a porch for a balcony (one that anyone can peak into if your drapes are open).  It happens to be close by to some hot tuns and a pool (so far, has not been open) that has limited access to include only Havana guests during the day.  At night, they open up to anyone.

Is the service better?  No!  But service all over the ship has been quite good!

I thought that they were no longer allowing everyone to use the Havana area in the evening?

45 minutes ago, kahcruising said:

I thought that they were no longer allowing everyone to use the Havana area in the evening?

Sorry....should clarify.  The outside Havana area is only for Havana cabins.  Inside Havana area is open to wveryone!

Want to thank everyone for hanging with me so far.  Hopefully, you find this info helpful.  

So, just got back from Cozumel.  This port stop makes me nuts (OK....more NUTZ than I already am).  You can’t get through the pier without winding through store upon store upon store, where they force you to go through a tourist trap maze to actually get out of the port area.  It’s become much worse over the years. I am vowing to stay on ship from now on whenever I take a cruise that offers Cancun or Cozumel as a port stop.

If you haven’t done these ports before, I recommend booking an excursion the ship offers. I don’t do his all the time, but having been burned by more than one excursion vendor at the pier, it’s worth spending more for peace of mind.

Again for those of you who don’t know the port, regardless of what the on board “jewelry consultant says, there are no “deals” that can be had at the likes of Diamonds International, or any of the other jewelry vendor at or near the port.  

Give you just one example, I broke my “CheapO” pair of sunglasses today when I dropped, and then stepped on, the only pair I brought on board.  Seeking some to buy at the pier, they have some cheap Ray-Ban counterfeits at one of the “reputable” stores.  I know Ray-Bans....WELL!  I’ve been buying and wearing them for well over 20 years.  I usually don’t brink them with me on a cruise as, well, I’m a klutz. And, the likelihood that I’ll break or lose them is better than 50-50.

Anyway, for giggles, the sales girl was giving me the hard sell on the counterfeit Ray-Bans.  It didn’t take a sleuth to see they were counterfeit.  The materials they were made from were cheap.  They logo was crooked on the lens.  They were $2 sunglasses that the vendor was charging $69 for.  They tried to make them look like WayFarers, but they were sad imitations.  I offered her $5.  She was obviously not having that.  I went to leave and she came darting out of the store, offering them for $29.  No thanks.  I waived and kept walking.

If you find something you like, whether it be a watch, a ring, any piece of jewelry, or a pair of high buck sunglasses, buy your prize because you really want it....not because it’s a “deal’.

Preaching over!

• Like 2