FIL is disabled, embarktation question

Sass4

My Dh is disabled and we were always taken to the skippers club and let on the boat first. This has happened on every port and every ship we have been on.

They will also bring him a wheelchair all you have to do is ask when you get to the port. We needed this =on 2 seperate occasions for my mother. They are very accommidating for people who need a little more time getting around.

I have seen many folks being added by wheelchairs. I don't know if all the ports handle it the same way, but all the times I have seen the wheelchair folks getting on first, only one other member of the family (or group) was allowed to go with her or her. I am not saying this is at every port, just don't be surprised if they limit the number of people to go with him.

When you get there for embarkation, inform the people there. However, they'll probably see him in the wheelchair and be proactive and come to assist. I've seen it happen every time I've boarded. So it shouldn't be a problem.

We never had to tell anybody the chairs were always at the port and my mother actually took them on the cruise with her. there was no extra charge for this,and it was reassurring to know it was there if she needed it. Usually if you need help somone will come up and ask if you need assistance. We have never had to hunt them down. You shouldnt have any problems.

If he has a hard time getting around i would recommend taking the chair with you. Just in case the seas get rough, wouldnt want him to lose his footing :)

And regaurdless of weather you are booked in a grand suete or inside gaurentee you are treated with the utmost respect and dignity.

So rest your worries he will be taken care of.:D

Will they moved him ahead of the lines? He can't stand on his feet too long so I know he won't make it if lines are slow.

sass4,

My DH has problem standing or walking for long distances. We always ask for a wheelchair and are very well taken care of. A CCL rep takes us to the elevators, therefore missing most of the lines. Just ask. ;) After we board we are on our own because there aren't enough chairs for everyone. I try to always get a stateroom near the dining room and buffets. Hope all of you have a wonderful cruise! :)

Luv's Crusin'

I bring my own wheelchair (I can't handle standing long periods either) and it's as if there's a flashing neon light above my head during the embarkation process: "MAKE THIS LADY FEEL SPECIAL!! ZIP HER THROUGH THE PROCESS!!" We had to wait in only one line, and that was with other disabled passengers and it went fast. It's one of the only perks of having a disability. . .:)

Also, I do want to confirm what was said about only one person in your party being allowed to accompany your FIL in the "zip express."

Sue

We won't even be together, we are going a couple of days early to see the sights in Fort Lauderdale. They will be coming right from the plane.

We are cruising kid free also, we'll be partying too much!!

I have a question to add....same situation with my mother. There will be 3 of us, my mother, my niece (21) and myself. So does this mean Carnival will make my niece wait in line alone, or would they let along one straggler? I don't want to leave her alone either.

No just simply explain the situation and i am sure they will let you stay together. The rule is there to keep people from abusing the privelage of early entry. If there are only 3 of you i am sure it wont be a problem.

We had a similar situation last year and it was no problem. Another year there were 4 of us and we simply just came later after the crowds were allready on the boat so we could just walk on.

Also, FIL should have special treatment during lifeboat drill. My Dad said that crew members were wonderful to him and made sure he had a good spot on deck during drill and them made sure he and my Mom were dismissed first and put on elevator so thay were not "trampled" by everyone leaving drill to get back to cabins.

Dad brought a small electric scooter on board and found it very easy to get around ship.

Does he have handicapped cabin? These cabins have a call button above bed in case cabin attendant needs to be called.

They also saw my grandma struggling with the escalators (embarking and disembarking) and her luggage and led her to the elevators. She didn't have a wheelchair but is 78 and has some trouble walking, but the staff was really good about making things easier for her during the whole process. Then, after we disembarked and went to grab our luggage, mom and I left grandma with our carry-ons and then went to go get our checked bags and a porter so she wouldn't have to try to get through all the luggage to get her bags.

Also, if you have to fly, don't hesitate to ask when you buy your tickets about getting a wheelchair at the connecting airport if your FIL doesn't already use one. We simply requested it when we bought our tickets, informed the flight attendants when we got on and they came almost right after we got off with a wheelchair, switching us to an electric cart for all of us for part of the distance. It really helped and I don't think it would have been possible for Grandma to walk clear across the Minneapolis airport.

Last year my soulmate (who has his own w/c) had our 2 moms with us. We went out of Port Everglades on the Legend. When we got off our shuttle, the porter told us we would get priority boarding because of the w/c, and to go to the front of the line. (Just look for the curb cut-outs!) As soon as a Carnival rep saw us, they took all four of us right to the security check-in, and took Gary and w/c to a separate area, promising to return him on the other side. There we were ushered to a check-in window that was lower than some others to give our account info and boarding docs. From there they pointed us to and elevator, when we got upstairs, another rep took hold of the w/c and put us to the side, took our docs, got our cards, then sent us to board!

We had arrived at the port about 11:45, and were on board at 12:05!

Archived