Handicapped excursions (Western Caribbean)

SteveAndBecky

If the wheelchair user can transfer to a taxi or van, there are things to do at each of the ports you are going to; however, there is little, if any, accessible transportation at any of these ports.

I am not sure what type of wheelchair you are planning to take. Power chairs or scooters are great aboard ship (as long as you have a handicap cabin.) They give the user independence and his/her companions do not have to push a manual chair over the carpeting. However manual chairs (or scooters) are a better choice in port and for accessing tenders.

Three of the four ports are tender ports. Unless your ship has a tender lift, the crew will usually be willing to carry a wheelchir passenger up/down the tender stains in a manual chair as long as the water is not rough.

If the wheelchair user can transfer a regular taxi or van, there are options at each port.

Cozumel: I do not know the conditions since the hurricane; however in the past, there have been several choices. Our favorite was the Mexican Cuisine course at Playa Mia. My husband could not cook because the cooking surfaces were too high, but he enjoyed watching, and of course, sampling the food. He also enjoyed looking out over the beach area while my daughter and I swam for 1/2 hour. My husband also liked Chakanaub Park where he visited the pseudo ruin, watched the sea lion show and the sea lion swim and enjoyed a beer at the open air cafe while we snorkeled. However, I do not know when Chakanaub will reopen or what condition it will be in. Other choices are hiring a taxi for a island tour or shopping in downtown San Miguel which is reasonable accessible along the main street.

Costa Maya: We are going to Costa Maya for the first time in April and have reserved a Mayan ruins tour with a private vendor. According to the vendor, the ruins we are going to are mostly accessible.

Belize: We joined a van trip at the pier for a city tour and a visit to Altun Ha. Altun Ha was a long (and bumpy) ride, but my husband was able to see the escavated area. Although the walkways were not paved, they were made of hard packed earth so I was able to push his chair. In the few areas where roots or stones made pushing the wheelchair difficult, our driver helped me. We have not been there, but I have been told that the Belize Zoo is accessible. The shopping area by the pier is also mostly accessible.

Grand Cayman: My husband has always chosen not to go ashore so I can not give you suggestions other than an island tour or shopping.

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I just got off the Grand Princess last Saturday February 11th and its ports were Costa Maya, Belize, Cozumel and Playa Del Carmen. They have switched Grand Cayman to Playa Del Carmen. The only docking is at Costa Maya all other ports are tenders. My husband who uses a power chair on board ship was able to get off at Costa Maya. In Belize the tenders were small boats so we did not even try to get off the ship. In Playa del Carmen they had tenders that held 400 people so we got off, however, this was very tricky for a handicapped person. The water was rough so the transfer from ship to tender was kind of scarry. We used his manual wheelchair and I pushed him up and down the streets. Needless to say I prefer docks to tenders and would not even recommend this trip to anyone in a wheelchair. They have no excursions for wheelchair bound people in any of the ports and if you stay on the ship there are very few activities going on. The next time we cruise we will make sure they dock and not tender.

We tendered to Cozumel. Just want to say becareful. We used the larger airboat and it was fine. My DH uses a power chair they said it was ok to use it on tender. I said are you sure. Yes yes we do all the time.

Coming back we got on a smaller boat. It was pouring rain. When we got to the ship you exited the tender up a flight of stair. If we had not been soaking I would have went back and got on the larger boat. I tranfered him to a manual chair and even then they had a hard time taking his power chair up the stairs. Putting him back in his power chair I hear a crack, crack, crack. Somehow he broke his leg.

Also we took a handicap van from downtown back to the ship. Lets just say they need training. it was a rear load van, with a lift. they put him on back first. then told him to drive in. We the opening in the van door was not extended. and my DH hit his head on the door opening. I had to go inside and push his head to the side to get in the door. Once inside the roof was raised. They missed the fact that the door frame should have been extented.

Also we started walking from the port to the downtown 3 mile walk. The curb where very high. I did have a small ramp with us but even that was to small. It did come in handy to put over some pot holes from the hurricane.

Unless you have plans for Cozumel I'd say stay on the ship.

Archived