Cruise Line Air Packages

Sky Sweet

When we booked our Baltic Cruise last May I added their air package with the idea of canceling it if I found a better deal. So far I have not been able to find one. The best deal I have found is the exact same rate but that doesn't include transportation between Heathrow Airport and Dover, while the Cruise Line's air package does. I just wanted to share this to dispel the myth that it is always cheaper to book your own flights.

Last summer there was an Alaska special air rate of $300 from Atlanta! That was including transfers. You KNOW you can't even get to the west coast for that, much less Anchorage, much less back from Vancouver. It was too good a deal to pass up.

You won't know about these specials unless you pretend you are booking and have air added in. I do not like the way Celebrity's website is now combining cruise and air, not listing them as separate entities so you can make a comparison. Requires lots more work for the passenger.

You just never know. I was going to use Cel air for Alaska. The client wanted to deviate. I took a look at Alaska air myself, added in a one-way transfer in Seward and saved $282 per person.

Last summer I had clients booked on Century AMS-BCN. Cruiseline air was $1599. I dropped it in favor of KLM/NW flights at $896pp booked directly and taxi/private car transfers for the clients which they needed anyway because one of the party can't do the coach steps.

For 4/1/06 RCL air was $659 BOS-SJU, again, dropped when I booked AA directly for $367pp rt.

You just have to keep checking.. especially if you are air deviating and subject to increased flight costs.

Celebrity/RCI seem to be expensive as regards the air component. The price of a 10-night 'Best of the Med' cruise on Galaxy, from/to Civitavecchia in June, was £350 (that's GB pounds) less per person 'cruise-only'. We've been able to set-up the air & transfer component for a little bit less than £200 per person, thus saving £300 - maybe $500 - in total.

Whereas MSC says that its summer cruises ex-Italy (Genoa or Venice) are just £200 less per person if booked cruise-only. At that price it's well worth taking the cruiseline's air package, especially as the transfers - well, certainly Milan (Malpensa) to Genoa - are the best part of 100 miles and over 2 hours by coach.

Of course the big plus is that the cruise line is taking responsibility for you as soon as you check in at the airport of departure. Depending on how events turn out, this may or may not be important.

I agree with Sky Sweet. While the majority of the time you can arrange air for a lower price than offered by the cruise line it does vary and should always be reviewed. And, when cruising to and from ports such as ones in countries outside the US suc as Dover it is very important to factor in the transportation costs between airport and port which can be substantial, such as those in the London area.

Keith

As you can see saving $'s by doing your own air isn't a myth. Generally it is a lot easier to do and save with flights within the lower 48 but it can be done with overseas flights as well but very often the cruiseline deal will be the best you can do, just depends.

Archived