Changes in number in party

Posted this on the general board, but someone suggested  I repost here.

We have a cruise booked for July with Marella, - 2 cabins, 4 passengers, Unfortunately my friend and her husband are splitting up, She still wants to come on the cruise and we are looking at options so that the three of us girls can still go.

Trying to evaluate what the options could be before I call the cruise line.. 

• We pay for both cabins and he is just a no show - would that cause any issues, apart from the fact that it would be expensive
  • We try and rebook a cabin for singe occupancy?   Think most ships don't have them though and you pay for a double cabin.
  • We try and book a cabin for three but I think that would include a sofa bed.
  • anything else

We are sailing from the UK so there are no flights involved.

Anyone been in a similar situation with Marella and could offer advice.

Anne

Hi presumably you are booked on Explorer 2 and if you are going in July you have only paid the deposit so you do have another option that is cancel and rebook a cabin for three they are sofa beds on Explorer 2, they may allow you to change without loses but I doubt it and you will have to pay an admin cost anyway, not much help really but I have never been in that position. Think I would just ask what they can offer you may be better off if you have booked with a TA. Good luck 🤞 

Could you not get another friend to join you and just do a name change. Would just be an admin fee to pay.

Or keep the two cabins and do a no show. Perhaps split the extra cost between the three of you.

Single cabin may cost as much as a twin, then there could be lost deposit and admin fee to pay.

Hope it all works out well for you and you have a great time.

Financially, I don't think there are any easy options apart from Nancy's suggestions, which are also my thoughts. Running a dummy booking through the online system, showed virtually the same price for 3 people sharing 1 cabin, as 4 people in 2 cabins (both on deck 8 or 9)

Unfortunately, combined bookings can cause issues in many ways (which I have found, when my mum died just before departure, and I was lead passenger). We (as 2 couples) always book seperately now.

Hope you manage to sort something out, but if its any consellation, if you stick with the Baltic cruise, you wont be dissappointed.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the advice, we have decided to keep the booking as it is and just have a no show.

We want to swap the cabins though, so that my friend who would have come with her husband isn't in that cabin on her own.

Is it better to try and swap the names after we have paid, or on embarkation day.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Anne