Balmoral, which restaurant to choose?

puffin108

Going on my first Fred Olsen cruise on the Balmoral and I’d appreciate some advice for choosing our dining choice. When selecting dining options I seem to be able to choose between the Avon, Spey and Ballindalloch restaurants. Am I correct in thinking they all serve the same menu? We are a group of 3 and would like to have a table for just 4. What would be the better option of restaurant do you think or is there not much difference? Thanks. 

I really like Balmoral. Was on her a few months ago. I’m on Black Watch in 10 days. 

The large MDR on Balmoral is Ballindaloch and most people will be seated in there for dinner. It is fixed dining...1st sitting 6:15 pm and 2nd sitting is about 8:30 pm. You stay on the same table with the same people for the whole of your cruise. You can request a table for four people and they will do their best to accommodate you but it isn’t guaranteed. They do have tables for 6/8/10. 

Avon and Spey are much smaller dining venues and would be my preference. They are higher up with large windows and great views. Because there are less people dining there I think service is better and generally quicker.  The menu is the same in all three restaurants. You can eat breakfast and lunch in Avon or Spey anyway, but unless you are lucky to be allowed the choice, then most passengers are in Ballindaloch for dinner. If I was you I would choose Avon, but Spey is just as good. 

There is also a free buffet restaurant and The Grill, which is a speciality restaurant and charged extra at £20 pp. The food there is excellent and is highly recommended. You can also have the “posh Afternoon Tea” at £8:95 pp in The Observatory Lounge. There is a free version of scones and jam in the buffet every afternoon but it isn’t a patch on the “posh” afternoon tea with a variety of sandwiches, cakes and scones and delicious tea (or coffee). 

Have a great cruise!