Panama City on your own

bcakes

Hi everyone, I am looking for feedback on the best way to tour around Panama City on our own. For those who have done it, are taxis a good way to travel? Were there any issues with finding a taxi to take you back after you were done exploring? I am also curious about whether people felt safe visiting the ruins of Panama Viejo on their own. My guidebook indicates this is a potentially sketchy area. 

Thank you!

I would recommend you hire a cab for the entire time you are touring.  A cabby will run interference for you and steer you away from the real sketchy areas.  If you are with a local there is much less of a chance you will be bothered.  While it is possible to catch a cab at each point you wish to visit, I not sure it will wind up being that much of a savings when you consider the convenience.  While Panama does have set rates for taxi rates between different points in the city, as a tourist I sincerely doubt you will be "offered" those rates.  You can negotiate with the cab and outline what and where you want to go.  Just settle on a price before you hop in.