Are NJT Trains Luggage Friendly?

IRMO12HD

We'll be flying into EWR on a Saturday, and leaving the Manhattan Cruise Terminal on Sunday (afternoon) in April. Our current plan is to stay overnight in Newark at the Hilton Penn Station, and then take the NJT train to NY Penn Station Sunday morning (probably around 10 am), and Uber or cab from there to the port. My question is, are the trains 'standard' commuter trains, or will there be a place to stand (or sit with) our suitcases (one large, two small)? I'm hoping that the Sunday morning commute won't be a crowded one.

Look for the middle doors in the cars if it's a double deck train. That's where it's all one level and while the seats are priority for disabled or elderly, most people with luggage will sit there.   If it's a single deck train, good luck.  Try to sit near the end of the cars.  The NJT trains can get packed, even on weekends.  Newark is almost the last station so be prepared.  

I suggest asking Mr. Google for images of NJ Transit trains (there are hundreds) and have a look around.  It's a crap shoot as to what equipment will be running on any given day.

Hope that helps.  I haul too much luggage on NJT trains all the time and tend to look for the aforementioned seating areas.  Again, it's priority for disabled and elderly but anyone can sit there.  Just be mindful that you may have to stand if someone needs the seat though IME people who are in wheelchairs tend to need the bridge plate so they board where the conductors are located.

• Like 1

You're welcome.  Also, keep checking the NJT website too, and their various twitter accounts as they'll post delays, etc.  (There is a main NJ Transit one, plus one for each of the lines and IIRC a few of them stop at Newark Penn--I only ever take the Northeast Corridor line)

• Like 1