Pay for Food

wrp96

Just ranting a little, I guess they are really trying to save money in any way they can. On our four and a half hour flight to San Juan, American Airlines is going to be charging for food. When we first booked, there was no charge, but now they are showing a charge. I wasn't planning on eating the food any ways, but you'd think on a 4-1/2 hour flight they would provide something for free (and the peanuts don't count); I looked and if we had taken the close to 6 hour flight from Chicago they are charging on that flight too. Oh, and the price of the same flights is up to $1,225 per person:eek:.

I agree with you. It has gotten so bad some airlines will not give you a full can of soda, instead they fill your cup two times if needed. I can't imagine they are paying any more than a quarter for a can of soda!

What do you guys expect when you're getting fares as low as $200? (not that your particular flight is that inexpensive). We, as the cost conscious travelers, need to remember that with these low fares we are undercutting the cost of fuel to fly us there.

If I get a decent fare on any airline, I never complain about any of the little extras they charge for...I just don't buy them.

Funny when they didn't charge for food, all you heard was how awful it was. I myself prefer to bring my own. For 2-4 dollars I can grab a subway sandwich. Also I've noticed in the last few years there is a lot more to choose from at airports, including, very nice to-go meals.

Here's a good way to keep things in perspective as the airline industry continues to implement cost saving measures:

Airplanes are for transport.

Restaurants are for food.

*Don't expect the airlines to provide your meals just like you wouldn't expect restaurants to provide your transportation.

*Carry your own snacks (deli sandwich, etc) when you fly instead of depending on others. Always. What you choose to carry on board is probably more palatable than airline junk anyway. :cool:

Archived