Project Genesis ship ordered - 220,000 GRT, delivery autumn 2009

Press release today from Aker Finnyards:-

Royal Caribbean orders a giant cruise vessel from Aker Yards

06-February-06

Royal Caribbean International orders a new generation cruise vessel from Aker Yards. The contract price being approximately EUR 900 million, this is the most valuable ship ever ordered in the history of commercial shipbuilding.

The 220,000 GRT ship, a prototype developed under Project Genesis, will be delivered from Aker Yards, Finland in autumn 2009. The order means 5,800 man years of work for the yard. The contract includes an option for a similar vessel.

"After developing so many generations of cruise ships together over the 35 years of our partnership with RCCL we are excited about jumping so far out in front of cruise-ship design with this highly innovative and exciting new ship" says Yrjö Julin, President responsible for Aker Yards Cruise & Ferries business area. "Working together we will create an unparalleled experience for the next generation of cruisers.?

"It is exhilarating to take such a giant step into the future", said Royal Caribbean Chairman and CEO Richard Fain. ?Project Genesis truly is a remarkable ship. Its bold design, daring innovation and technological advancements will delight our existing customers and help us draw in new ones?. He also said Royal Caribbean to be fortunate to have such gifted collaborators as Aker Yards.

Taking a huge leap of 43 per cent in size from the new record breaking "Freedom of the Seas" to be delivered for Royal Caribbean from Aker Yards in April, the new giant of the cruise market will be 360 meters long, 47 meters wide, 65 m high above waterline and accommodate 5,400 passengers.

The previous deliveries from Aker Yards to Royal Caribbean include eleven newbuildings, and there are three more in the present orderbook, the world´s largest cruise vessels in the Freedom class, to be delivered in 2006, 2007 and 2008.

Consisting of 18 newbuildings, the total value of the order book of Aker Yards in Finland is some 4.3 billion euro after this contract.

The contract is subject to final confirmation of buyers financing.

wow....the voyager ships are already so huge , and this ship will be 43% bigger than the Freedom :eek:!!! That is almost half the size of the Freedom BIGGER...it will take more than a week to tour the entire ship.

Taking a huge leap of 43 per cent in size from the new record breaking "Freedom of the Seas" to be delivered for Royal Caribbean from Aker Yards in April, the new giant of the cruise market will be 360 meters long, 47 meters wide, 65 m high above waterline and accommodate 5,400 passengers

Leviathan of the Seas.

Hi All,

I think a cruise line has finally lost their mind! When is something going to be too big?

Just think how embarkation/debarkation is going to be for 5,400 people (let alone the buffet line). You think people shove and push now, just wait. I also hope that this ship won't have to use the tenders at all.

I am beginning to like the small to middle sized ships more and more (like Majesty and Enchantment). I am sure this new giant will look great but, I will read about it on these boards.

Just my opinion.

Ed

. I also hope that this ship won't have to use the tenders at all.

Ed

How many ports have a pier that can accomodate a ship that long? Unless there is some major upgrade to ports I think there may be a lot of tendering. Or, maybe the ship will make no port calls and will just stay out at sea for a week cruising.

When I was on the Navigator in December, I was complaining to the Loyalty Ambassador about the itinerary that they had placed the Freedom on. She stated that RCI was selling the new Freedom as more as a destination in herself and not the ports. You can imagine that is what RCI will do with the Genesis. I do know that St. Thomas is getting ready to add 150 feet to their Havensight pier to handle the larger ships. More than likely there will have to be some tendering.

The Genesis will only be 68 feet longer than the Freedom and 160 foot longer than the Voyager class. Seems they are making the space up in adding several decks of cabins(higher) and making her wider.

Some of these ports of call are already stressed by the number of cruise ship passengers that are there on any given day. I hope the cruise lines know what they are doing.

Well we can expect Carnival to announce soon that they are building their much awaited Pinnacle class. Mickey Arison has stated that the only thing that they were waiting on was the dollar to gain against the euro. The Pinnacle will be over 200,000 tons also.

Will they have people mover walkways like the airports?

No, they intend to use tenders throughout the ship. This design will offer a lake rather than the promenade design in the Voyager class ships. Two tenders will run in either direction to deliveryou to different "ports of call" inside the ship.

Remember, it was only a rumor when they said they where going to use the Empress of the Seas as a tender! Now that was just ridiculous!!! :D

Archived