Project Genesis ship ordered - 220,000 GRT, delivery autumn 2009

Well, Eric;

At full capacity of 6400 passengers (according to the news broadcast) and add 2000 crew members to a 220,000 ton vessal. Why don't you show me where "my info is not quite accurate"?

By the way ---- I teach high school math.:rolleyes:

It is not your math that is in question. Space ratio is based on two per cabin. Not full capacity and the number of crew is never factored in. So while your math is fine, you used the wrong figures.

Based on current information, the space ratio is 220,000 GRT divided by 5400 passengers = 40.74. However, based on the space ratios of the latest ships commissioned by RCI; Voyager class (44.5), Radiance class (42.9) and Freedom class (44), I believe that the final number of cabins will be closer to 2600 than 2700, which would bring the space ratio to 42+.

Come on guys - Just think - a beautiful sunny day, half way to St. Thomas, 2000 screaming kids all trying to pile into the two pools and 4 hot tubs all at the same time - we'll all feel like we're at home - But I thought we went on a crusie to get away from it all?

Come on guys - Just think - a beautiful sunny day, half way to St. Thomas, 2000 screaming kids all trying to pile into the two pools and 4 hot tubs all at the same time - we'll all feel like we're at home - But I thought we went on a crusie to get away from it all?

Where did your read that there would only be 2 pools and 4 hot tubs? Did I miss an announcement - can you share the link? Thanks.

:p :p

Galleria of the Seas!

Here's why: It's just like the Houston Galleria.

There is a skating rink.

Hotel rooms look in on the shopping area.

There is a selection of dining options.

There is a place to work out.

There is a place to dump the kids.

Rich people go there to display their conspicuous wealth.

There are way too many children and teens roaming around, even on school days.

You can spend a week in the thing and never find your way outside.

It is serviced by a staff of foreigners earning shamefully poor pay with no benefits.

The only thing Galleria of the Seas offers that Houston Galleria doesn't is the potential for seasickness.

Oh,I don't know rob...

Looking at prices at the Galleria..make me plenty Nauseus :p

Too bad Freedom is stuck for a year in W Carib, and I hear next year is E Carib - what a WASTE! She should be S Pacific from San Diego to let folks enjoy the ship on sea days. Hawaiian cruises even with their sea days. Genesis better be 2 weeks or better per cruise with sea days for folks to enjoy what is offered on the ship. Even Australia from Hawaii or Asian cruise from Hawaii or LA.

I frankly have no interest of being on it or for that matter near it. Certain Caribbean ports are at this point, so overwhelmed as to have all but destroyed them, in my opinion. Can you imagine arriving into St. Thomas with this monstrosity while 2 other 100,000+ ships are visiting. And if you think general standards have been eroded over the last decade, I can't wait to hear the complaints about service and dress codes on this thing. Thanks, but no thanks, I'll stay with ships no larger than 75,000gt and prefer 50,000. Two words you will not hear descibing this thing are "elegant" and "refined",

however two substitutes will probably be "circus" and "grotesque", but then again some folks love to visit a circus for a week and freak shows have always been "grotesque", so enjoy.

Too bad Freedom is stuck for a year in W Carib, and I hear next year is E Carib - what a WASTE! She should be S Pacific from San Diego to let folks enjoy the ship on sea days. Hawaiian cruises even with their sea days. Genesis better be 2 weeks or better per cruise with sea days for folks to enjoy what is offered on the ship. Even Australia from Hawaii or Asian cruise from Hawaii or LA.

This new ship will be based year round in Miami doing the seven day milk run to the eastern and western Caribbean. You can bet on that.As someone else has tried to explain, there is not enough demand to place a ship in the Pacific of this size. RCI wants families on this ship also. Most families go to the Caribbean. Also a ship this size is going to be very limited as to where she can go. Very few ports are going to be able to handle her.

as a cruise buff I am always excited to see new designs and always intersted in the new "Largest ever ship" but as a seasoned passenger i just cant immagine how one will not be crowded, have average service at best and be just overwhelmed by fellow passengers on Genesis.

IMHO No one can really relax, enjoy service and cruising without having to deal with the same long lines and other stuff you do in your everyday life and workday on these passenger crammed ships.

I went on Voyager class twice when the ships were not even sailing at full capacity and those ships are a nightmare.

RCI should have had the 220,000 grt ship but with much less passengers if they want to make a splash. Im sure many past cruisers which are what sustain the industry through these ambitious shipbuilding phases would pay a little extra to have a huge ship, packed with amenities but not be crowded into a mass mob type environment..

Maybe its just me but seeing the pax stats on this does not make me want to cruise on it...

but I'll ill keep an open mind :-) hopefully the designer accidentally spills some white out on the cabins in the plans. :-)

This new ship will be based year round in Miami doing the seven day milk run to the eastern and western Caribbean. You can bet on that.As someone else has tried to explain, there is not enough demand to place a ship in the Pacific of this size. RCI wants families on this ship also. Most families go to the Caribbean. Also a ship this size is going to be very limited as to where she can go. Very few ports are going to be able to handle her.
Personally I would like a seven day cruise that stops at Cozumel and Labadee. That's it. Two ports. I would like the extra sea days so I can explore the ship.

I would love a longer sailing but I just don't think it would sell as well so RCI would never do it.

I went on Voyager class twice when the ships were not even sailing at full capacity and those ships are a nightmare.

Maybe its just me but seeing the pax stats on this does not make me want to cruise on it...

I was on the Navigator OTS with 3600 passengers and it did not seem crowded to me.

Nonetheless, I have to agree, 5400 people does seem a little much. That is like having two Radiance class ships. Something closer to 2500 cabins instead of 2700 cabins would improve the space ratio to something closer to the Voyager class.

RCI should have had the 220,000 grt ship but with much less passengers if they want to make a splash. Im sure many past cruisers which are what sustain the industry through these ambitious shipbuilding phases would pay a little extra to have a huge ship, packed with amenities but not be crowded into a mass mob type environment..

They already have such a ship. It is called Celebrity.

Is the pattern of big, bigger, biggest.

As the big three cruise lines have grown, the competition has all but died off. The number of small ships are shrinking and will continue to do so I think. The pattern may eliminate choice all together. If you look at HAL...which many posters poke fun at with blue hair jokes....they had their place and their type of cruisers. But now the latest plans call for a much larger ship for HAL and to cater to families. This line is growing and going for larger ships. If all the lines do the same to compete, the choices shrink. I realize to each his own and we all have tastes, but if the standard becomes equal in size to the QM2, I cant see the smaller ships nor the smaller lines surviving.

For me I fell in love with being on a ship, and all the things it provided and the things it did not. I sailed on the maiden voyage of the Sovereign and was amazed, but even then thought it detracted from what I liked. I found myself sitting by the pool and not seeing the ocean like the small ships that had pools in the stern.

Now its a different experience where the sea almost becomes an annoyance because the ship rocks. There are enough post on CC where people complain about rocking, rolloing or their cabin creaks.

Would I like to visit this ship, yes, sail on her...probably not. To those that cant wait...cool. But I hope this trend does not kill off what I like...smaller ships. To think of 5000 plus passengers on a ship, talking on their cell phones during dinner, by the pool, during the shows....I'll stay home.

They already have such a ship. It is called Celebrity.

Celebrity? No offense, but..... what is their largest ship? What ammenities do they have? How new/old are they? How much more are their cruises than RCI? How much bigger are their comparable cabins?

These are of course, rhetorical questions, as I already know the answers.:D

I don't see Celebrity and think "huge ships, packed with ammenities".

No offense against Celebrity cruisers. People just like different things.......

Celebrity? No offense, but..... what is their largest ship? What ammenities do they have? How new/old are they? How much more are their cruises than RCI? How much bigger are their comparable cabins?

These are of course, rhetorical questions, as I already know the answers.:D

I don't see Celebrity and think "huge ships, packed with ammenities".

That was the point. If you want a ship with less people and more space per person, cruise with Celebrity. Don't expect RCI to commision ships that will compete with Celebrity. The RCI ships will, for the most part, be bigger, have more "thing" and less space per person than the Celebrity ships.

I was on the Navigator OTS with 3600 passengers and it did not seem crowded to me.

Nonetheless, I have to agree, 5400 people does seem a little much. That is like having two Radiance class ships. Something closer to 2500 cabins instead of 2700 cabins would improve the space ratio to something closer to the Voyager class.

I have been on the Navigator twice and both times the ship was full. Never felt crowded to me at all. I have been on much smaller ships that felt much more crowded. The Voyager class ships have a great design IMHO.

I'm with you on that crusinggator2. On the old TSS Carnivale we were almost shoulder to shoulder like it was a potatoe boat. The Explorer had so many places to go and events that we only saw a crowd during the parades. It felt more like I was cruising with just a few hundred people rather than thousands.

:D LOL... I posted this before, but it was in a thread that....disappeared...:rolleyes:

Those Princess Grand class ships are just plain ugly. As a matter of fact, Princess wins hands down as having the ugliest ships floating today IMHO. They don't even resemble a ship. I know that the exterior looks of a ship is not indicative of what the experience on board will be like but I would like to sail on something that didn't look like it was missing it's wheels.:)

Those Princess Grand class ships are just plain ugly. As a matter of fact, Princess wins hands down as having the ugliest ships floating today IMHO. They don't even resemble a ship. I know that the exterior looks of a ship is not indicative of what the experience on board will be like but I would like to sail on something that didn't look like it was missing it's wheels.:)

I know. And I really would like to try Princess, but just can't go there. I like their cabins, and some of the interiors, but can't get past the skywalker thing.:)

I know. And I really would like to try Princess, but just can't go there. I like their cabins, and some of the interiors, but can't get past the skywalker thing.:)

They are taking Skywalkers and moving her up behind the funnel on the new Crown Princess. They also did the same thing with the Diamond and Sapphire Princess. They do not look as bad.

so get out to sea where she belongs, and how about 2-3 week cruises to S Pacific, New Zealand/Augstralia, even Asian from Hawaii & any other new ports out there!!!

I have done over 25 cruises & we hate to repeat ports. We want to be round-the-world cruisers.

Archived