Water or Land in Kotor

I'm having the hardest time deciding which direction we should go in Kotor.  We are a family of 4 with daughters 11 and 15.  We are not beach people, but do enjoy snorkeling and swimming.  We will be in Kotor from 7:00AM to 6:00PM at the end of July. 

My first instinct was to hike the fortress in the AM, explore Kotor on our own for a couple of hours, and then do one of the 4 hour boat tours where we go to the Blue Cave, snorkel a little, go to Lady of the Rock island, and maybe go to Perast.

Then I read something that says cruise passengers will already have seen the scenic parts of the boat tour on their cruise in and out, so it is a bit of a waste of time.  I can understand this, so now I'm wondering if we would be better off doing one of the land tours that explores multiple areas of Montenegro.

Would love to hear others thoughts on this and what they have loved about visiting Kotor!  Thanks!

Edited by christieSF

One of the best excursions we have ever done was in Kotor on the Yacht Monty B.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g295381-d1572659-Reviews-A_Day_Out_On_Yacht_Monty_B-Kotor_Kotor_Municipality.html

The yacht is actually home to a lovely English couple and their dog. They were very responsive via email, picked us up in the port and transported us to their yacht via dinghy. We sailed around the harbour, jumped off the side of the boat, had a delicious lunch. They are very knowledgeable about the area and gave us so much info and Tim even took many photos and transferred them on to a CD to take with us.

We were a family of 4 (with 2 teenage boys) and hired the boat to ourselves but I believe they can take up to 6 people, which would have brought down the price.

I can't recommend this tour enough - a truly memorable day out.