Crab or lobster?

poetwain

Lobster tails only. I don't think you'll ever see true Alaskan King Crab on a mainstream cruise line. I've understand on Princess on some cruises they have a crab buffet but it is likely snow crab which is an entirely different product.

By the way in Alaska, King Crab is very expensive in restaurants and fish stores (as is most food in Alaska. Haddock and salmon are the least expensive main course items.) and it is quite different in appearance then we see in the lower 48. The crab we get is pink. The crab in Alaska is red. I asked about it in a fish store and was told, "The red is the good stuff that we keep for ourselves and we send the pink junk to the lower 48." Did not try the red while we were there.

While on the Century in October/November, on Lobster night they also offered crab legs. I have never seen this before. I don't know if it had to due with Hurricane Wilma and not being able to get all the supplies they needed. But it was a nice treat. Legs were split down the middle so they were easy to eat.

1st time on Celebrity, 12 night Alaskan on Infinity 5/20/06. Do they serve crab or lobster at any time during the cruise?:D
Funny -- we missed "lobster night" on the ship due to a crab feed on the shore. Having good light until late creates some interesting shorex schedules!

If you're hoping for crab, there used to be an excursion where we'd go out and pull up and measure crabs for a while and at the end, have a real all-you-can-eat crab feast at a lodge at the end. I don't recall which port, but check your shorex information when it gets close to sail date.

On our Island Princess Alaska cruise they had fresh Alaskan seafood a few times, including:

Fresh Salmon on night

Fresh Alaskan King Crab Legs another night

Fresh Halibut same night as crab legs (what a tough choice!)

Also one day they had crab cakes, grilled Halibut (fresh I think but not sure) and grilled shrimp at the grill by the pool where on other days they had hamburgers and hot dogs. What a treat that was!

It was very nice to have the fresh local fish. I wish Celebrity would do the same when they are in an area like Alaska or Hawaii where there is such great local fish. OTOH, I can't complain too much as Celebrity has best overall seafood I've seen on cruises (aside from the fresh fish treat on Princess in Alaska). It would just be nice if they took advantage of what's available locally instead of just sticking with the standard menus.

We are going on the same cruise as you. This will be our second time on Infinity, third time on Celebrity and second in Alaska. Wish it was sooner!

There has always been a lobster night whenever we went, usually on formal night which also offers prime rib. We always opt for 'surf and turf'

I don't ever remember crab.

It was very nice to have the fresh local fish. I wish Celebrity would do the same when they are in an area like Alaska or Hawaii where there is such great local fish. OTOH, I can't complain too much as Celebrity has best overall seafood I've seen on cruises (aside from the fresh fish treat on Princess in Alaska). It would just be nice if they took advantage of what's available locally instead of just sticking with the standard menus.

Good point; in fact, this is our main complaint about Celebrity food. It's uniform throughout the line, so you don't get a real taste of what's local. On Radisson, Windstar, Holland America, and even Regal (Empress) there was at least some local food.

Celebrity food is quite good; but if you want local stuff (lobster, crab, salmon, Pacific ling, etc.), try a good local seafood restaurant. If you see a town on your own, rather than using a Celebrity excursion, you'll save more than enough to pay for the meal.

Archived