Excursions and a 1 year old

RoyalFan509

Hello!  I have a question for parents who have traveled with young kids. My daughter will be one when we go in November in Escape. When you would get off on the islands and even just to go to the beach, did you bring your car seat and base. Wasn’t sure where to post this. TIA!

The one cruise we took with our little guy when he was 19 months old we did the Escape to Port Canaveral, Great Stirrup and Nassau from NYC. Obviously, a different itinerary than yours, but still some island hopping. We didn't bring the car seat and were okay. Navigating getting on and off the ship with just the stroller was hard enough, I couldn't imagine doing it with the car seat and base. 

We took the shuttle bus to Cocoa Beach and he sat on our laps for that trip, it was a little tough but not so bad. We did a cab to Atlantis from the port in Nassau and that was a little more harrowing, but we got through just fine without the car seat. The thing is, those were all 10-15 minute rides. I haven't done any of the ports that the Escape is going to in November, but if you are thinking of taking longer trips, that might be a different story. 

Good Luck, we had a blast on the Escape with our little dude. The Guppies program was great!! Enjoy.

We just returned from a 9-day Western Caribbean cruise with our 2 and 4 year olds. We did not have a stroller, nor a car seat for either one of them. We did tours on all 5 islands - some by boat, some by shuttle / tour buses, and one even in an 8-seater mini-van type of car. Neither of them cared about car seats. The kids either just sat in our lap, or in their own adult seat with regular adult seat belt. I can't imagine having to drag car seats or car bases around with us through congested ports, customs lines, and sweltering hot sun... And when you get to the beach - what do you do with your seat then?! Besides, the islands get so busy when a cruise ship docks that driving is slow, police patrols everywhere and we did not see a single accident. I also saw families with kids taking taxis to / from various destinations and port and nobody had car seats. Of course, your children - your choice, but I would say bringing a car seat is definitely not something we saw. Strollers - yes, car seats - no.  

OP, a friendly reminder to consult with your pediatrician about cruising with a 12 months old, as her body/immune systems, etc. are still developing & growing.  We cruised with one of the grand niece when she was about 18 months old and suffice to say, mommy & daddy got their hands full despite the grandparents helping next door (connecting balconies) - pack extra diapers, formula, cleaning wipes, etc. as those are super expensive if/when available onboard in the gift shop.  And, you don't necessary wish to be running around at the first port stop to re-stock.