Cruise & maritime - Astoria cabin number 527 promenade deck

Minnieminx55

CAn anyone tell me what my cabin on the Astoria actually is as we booked this norther isles and Iceland as a replacement to the one last year that hit a sandbar and didn’t go ahead. We book stand by guaranteed cabin and got number 527 on promenade deck. I’ve only ever gone with Cunard but my husband wanted this particular ship as I believe it’s the oldest, but I have no idea what to expect nor what to pack ...please help ..I have 23 days before cruising!

Well, I have not been on this ship, though most people know some of her history -- she used to be known as the STOCKHOLM and she collided with and ultimately sunk the ANDREA DORIA.  The cruise line website does give some good information, but I would suggest that you go to the line's Cruise Line board on CC here:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/825-cruise-amp-maritime-voyages/    to get specific answers from people who have been on that line and that ship.

Here is a fairly recent video tour of your ship:

Here is a tour of a Standard Plus Twin cabin:

Your cabin is a Premium Twin, with apparently a third berth (that may retract into the ceiling?). It is not noted that the beds can be put together. The video tour of the whole ship may show the different categories of staterooms; I didn't watch it, I just found it!

On 2/18/2020 at 11:09 PM, Minnieminx55 said:

CAn anyone tell me what my cabin on the Astoria actually is as we booked this norther isles and Iceland as a replacement to the one last year that hit a sandbar and didn’t go ahead. We book stand by guaranteed cabin and got number 527 on promenade deck. I’ve only ever gone with Cunard but my husband wanted this particular ship as I believe it’s the oldest, but I have no idea what to expect nor what to pack ...please help ..I have 23 days before cruising!

Looks pretty decent, “Premium Twin” mid ship and near the lifts. Did you book an outside? Looks like we are on the same cruise. We’ve never been with Cruise Maritime before either, usually Royal Carribbean ...we are on the deck below. Feeling a bit apprehensive about weather though!! That’s 12 March from Poole? Mary 

Hi Mary,

yes that’s right 12th March ...I’m packing jumpers ...not a ‘cold’ person but braving it for hubby!

No, I booked Guaranteed inside and expected an inside twin so an unexpected plus to have a ‘view’. Just trying to find out if there’s a fridge as some sites say yes all cabins ..others say depends on cabin !

Also not sure of tea and coffee facilities on tap ..if not hubby will be assigned ‘drinks go getter’.  I need my cuppa first thing!!

I had seen this cruise advertised...Iceland overnight was the draw, then at xmas somebody I knew booked it, they had been on that ship before and were happy to book inside, in the knowledge/hope an upgrade to outside was likely.  But, us first timers, with this company feared we might be placed in a black hole somewhere..., so booked an outside! Also feared the waters, having 2 unpleasant (many good too!) Bay of Biscay sailings, but fingers crossed, we have missed the worse of the Irish Sea etc, for now!! 

Our cabIn is deck 4, friends deck 3. One at the front, one at back. Cruise & Maritime (we are “loyalty” on Royal Caribbean) have an odd approach, as I only saw inside or outside guaranteed, but no choices anywhere of a particular cabin number, in fact I don’t think we had access to Deck Plans until paid up!!

I am  packing shirts/jumpers too, but hoping at dinner we can get away with just sleeves... It’s only going to be a few really cold days...We are doing the Golden Circle Then in the evening booked a trip to search for the lights in the country somewhere, the company say if weather is bad they will cancel and we get a refund. The good thing is pick up is at the port. The other people have been to Iceland before and have other plans, Other ports we might take/share a “Taxi Tour”...

Anyway looking forward to “Sail-away” and “Cocktails” on the 12th in Sunny Poole!! 

See you there & Happy Sailings to ALL...

• 2 weeks later...

All packed ...phew!!

had a call from cruise and maritime and I thought oh no it’s cancelled but they just wanted to confirm my allergies to food so 5 stars for efficiency ...actually looking forward to it now and have booked the midnight cruise Reykjavik for Northern Lights and Golden Circle all day tour which after talking to a friend who did it it last year looks to be really worth the money.

Just hope it’s dry If it’s really cold ....can cope with one or t’other but not both, so fingers crossed.

Happy Sailing 🙂 

Well..... that was the shortest cruise in history! We got on at Poole, we stayed at Poole and we left the ship at Poole.....and only because we got the correct information ourselves that the ship didn’t have port clearances from the foreign office.

We were given a multitude of excuses ....waiting for guests, inspectors hadn’t finished their Inspections , missed the tide ,....twice ....but the truth was from the horses mouth that C&M were liaising with Foreign office over port clearances.

We had three separate times for sail away but in the end as we told other passengers who asked us ...the ship did not have the correct clearances at all.

If only they could have been honest we would have been more understanding but they weren’t and even when we left they were still fobbing people off.

I’ll wait for the refund thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Update to this, I have been told by C&M that a refund is on its way ...within 60-90 days!!!

pleeeease...you are taking the micturate.

We pay on time so refund us on time.....definitely a Mickey Mouse outfit in my opinion, I will never travel with them again.....I prefer quality!

• 1 month later...

Mininiemix, They all the same...not enough funds to refund...That already being your second attempt to see The Norther Lights, perhaps you have given up.

it was a bit of a farce, delay after delay, even the drill on the second morning, just filling in time...we stayed the 2 nights and had the 2 night package F.O.C. In a sense, as they have more of our money than we got allegedly free!!  

We also lost a Royal Carribbean cruise via Barcelona/Venice/Italy etc.. no refund there either!

Though to be fair to C&M they have offered us 50% off another cruise, a much better offer than RC, so after looking at C&M future availability, I’ve found one to Northern Lights, October ‘21 from Portsmouth, getting a quote...Hope you find a satisfactory resolution...Rgds Mary

• 8 months later...

Finally got our refund from March of last year of course C&M kept promising to pay us out by 31st July last year ...we hung on and on until they went bust just a week before the alleged pay out. Then started the journey with ABTA which took since last July and over 30 uploads of paperwork and Information and finally we have our money back but not the promised out of pocket expenses. At least C&M going bust will prevent anybody else getting ripped off by this imho Mickey Mouse Outfit.

Am I cruising again, yes when I get the vaccine, but not before late late summer when I have a hope of actually going somewhere.  I won’t get caught again!