Last minute cruise

Aubreysmom09

My family of 3  has 2 cruises planned for July and Christmas this year on the Sunshine. Same itinerary HMC and Nassau, and same spa cabin. My parents now want to go on a cruise, and have some time off in March. I have never booked this close before. We live in Richmond, VA so Baltimore and Charleston are our closest ports unless their is one out of Norfolk. I have found 3 cruises for that time, and we will be driving to port. 

-Sunshine- Princess Cay and Nassau

-Fantasy- Yucatan and Cozumel

-Sunrise - Amber cove and Nassau

Any of these better than the other? 

-Do you get better prices calling or booking online? 

Thanks 😎

Hi, Aubreysmom.  There are so many variables to consider, but as noted by ray, pricing is the same online as on the phone; further I find with Carnival that travel agencies offer the same terms as the regular booking site for the line. This is nice because it's easy to comparison shop right there on the website. 

Of course if one cruise is a rock bottom bargain compared to the others, or if the departure port is more convenient, that may be your answer. Sunrise is the most recently, fully refurbished of the 3 ships, and if everything else were equal, and since you already have 2 on Sunshine coming up, I would choose Sunrise for the variety.   It's likely also in the best overall condition (I sailed it when it was the Triumph but not since it was renamed).  However, you are looking at a heckuva drive to Ft. Lauderdale as compared to Charleston. Don't know whether that's worth it??

As for the ports, they all have ways to fill up a day, whether just walking around the port or taking an excursion. Depends what you like and what they like.  If they have always wanted to see the Mayan ruins, you can get excursions to famous (also crowded) Chichen Itza from Progreso, or you can arrange tours to less famous, much less crowded (but further from port) Uxmal, where you can actually climb some of the structures. 

What else is important to you and the group you are traveling with?

Edited by KmomChicago

We just did Cozumel and Progreso in December and hated those two ports. Granted, we didn't do any excursions, which might've made them better, but it was just an "in-between" cruise leading up to one next month and we weren't looking to spend a lot. In Progreso, you have to take a bus from the ship because the pier is a few miles long. Once you get off the bus, the vendors are relentless. We walked to the free public beach a few blocks away and they didn't stop bothering us the whole way. Some even followed us down the street no matter how many times we said no. As far as aggressive vendors go, it was the worst we've ever experienced. That's a huge annoyance to me. We were in Amber Cove in 2018 and loved it. The port complex is huge. It has all the usual shops, a giant pool with a restaurant & bar, a free waterslide, and a zip line that costs, I think, $20 for unlimited times. I'm really not a sit-around-the-pool type of guy, but I have to admit, it was a very nice area. We took a taxi to the cable car that goes to the top of Mt. Isabel de Torres. The ride up/down offers spectacular views and there's some very nice walking trails through the jungle at the top. We loved it.

I would also try the Sunrise as the Fantasy is a much older ship and you are already going on the Sunshine. You will visit Nassau again on the Sunshine, but Amber Cove has a nice developed port area done by Carnival. It really depends upon how intensive your port excursions are of if you/they prefer just to stay on board and enjoy the ship. DH and I are taking our 39th Carnival cruise on Monday, but we have never sailed on any of those three ships so can't give you personal experience. Enjoy whatever you choose!

Hi Aubreysmom

As with most cruises (unless you plan to not get off the ship), which is the better itinerary would depend on what you would like to do. You are not necessarily going to find better pricing by booking late, even if it was, you wouldn't know because you don't know what the pricing was last month or last year. So, don't worry about that.

Research what is available in each port that might interest you. If it was specifically to go to the beach, I would choose the Mexican stops.

We were suppose to go to Universal. My parents promised our daughter this trip for her 10th birthday which is a couple days before Christmas. She didn't get many gifts, and she was fine with that. In January my dad told my mom (which they are both in their upper 50's not old, but some health issues my mom is handicap-able as well) that he didn't think he could handle Universal for a few days. Aubrey said she would like to go on a cruise instead if that meant papa could go. We typically do 1 or 2 a year, but never book this close to sailing.  Mostly book 9 months to a year out. My parents are the go to a resort and sit on the beach for a week kind of people. We are not resort people, so trying to meet in the middle.  My parents do need to relax, so this trip we probably won't be as active in ports.

We have never sailed from Charleston. Only from PC, Jacksonville, and Baltimore. Any pointers on Charleston port and FL will be helpful. My dad hated the Elation, and it was 4 weeks out of dry dock. I think with that, and the review on Progreso we will just toss aside the Fantasy. 

If we pick Sunrise we won't be able to leave until Friday night, and drive down. I will have to see how much further it is than PC. 

All the pointers have been super helpful. We have never been to Amber Cove, and I have never thought about it.It sounds like we can hang out at the pool with them, and then leave them for a bit to hike trails. 

Thanks, 

Cynthia

3 hours ago, Aubreysmom09 said:

my dad told my mom (which they are both in their upper 50's not old, but some health issues my mom is handicap-able as well) that he didn't think he could handle Universal for a few days. Aubrey said she would like to go on a cruise instead if that meant papa could go. My parents are the go to a resort and sit on the beach for a week kind of people. We are not resort people, so trying to meet in the middle.  My parents do need to relax, so this trip we probably won't be as active in ports.

Thanks, 

Cynthia

Okay, for me, this detail changes everything. Six hour drive to Charleston on Sunshine, which is the same class as Sunrise. In other words, very similar ships. NOT worth a 13 hour drive and the strain on the parents for a slightly newer ship of the same design, when you have a much more convenient option nearby - that's why Carnival sails from so many ports, after all. To make it convenient for passengers to reach them.  That extra time is exhausting for everyone and gets you almost the same product in the end.

I haven't sailed from Charleston, but typically Carnival ports have plenty of terminal parking which is also VERY convenient - drop the seniors, kids and bags off at the curb, run the car over to the lot, walk over and meet up.  You are spot on with skipping Fantasy if Dad didn't like Elation. Essentially the same ship. 

Nassau had a pirate museum which we thought was pretty cute. We have also visited Fort Charlotte which is a groovy big old ruin of a real fort from colonial times.   In short we cruise for the experience aboard ship and always find something worth doing in any port.

I'm no help other than we tend to book last minute. We leave a week today and I booked it a month before.  I usually call the carnival people, figure might as well get them a bit of commission 😊 

As long as you're ok paying the whole shebang in one go it's great because then there's just a quick anticipation, also my husband's work is iffy as to when he'll be busy so this works for us.  Also often you just get whatever cabin is available.  This time there was a lot of selection, last time we got one of the last ones

Btw we go to amber cove on our cruise departing next week.  Cozumel we've been to, it's really not all that exciting although I got the best vanilla extract there.  

Well my mom decided she wanted a 7 day cruise. Booked the Breeze for March 21st. Going to Amber Cove, San Juan, St. Thomas, and Grand Turk. Never been to Amber Cove or St. Thomas. Any pointers for St. Thomas? I have never been there. 

Late planning, and it looks like my daughter has out grown everything 🤣

Our next cruise in July that we are taking our friends on their first ever vacation we are going to go to Fort Charlotte and Pirate Museum.

I'm glad my mom finally made a decision, and at least we aren't going on the same ship 3 times this year 😁

• Like 1

We did that itinerary in 2018 and enjoyed it. We visited the two forts in San Juan (my son & I enjoy history), then walked to the San Juan Bautista cathedra to see Ponce de Leon's tomb. Then walked back to the ship. From the Castillo del Morro to the cathedral and back to the port wasn't a very long walk at all. They do have free shuttles that run around town, you just have to catch them at their stops.

In St. Thomas, we took a taxi to Sapphire Beach, about a half hour ride from the port. It's a decent enough beach with some pretty good snorkeling, especially if you go farther out. There's a stand with a little food and drinks, plus they'll rent things like snorkel gear and life jackets. There's loungers for rent, too, but I forget how much they were. $10 I think. We just set our stuff under a tree and no one messed with it. If you don't do an excursion there, I think a lot of people use it for a beach day. There's a few to go to, but you have to travel to them.

breeze is a great ship. we did that trip (ship and itinerary) last year. wonderful time. st thomas is a great island to go to a beach cheaply if that is your parent's style.

Amber Cover I recommend staying in the port area, it is well developed and would be a good compromise with your parents.

We did horseback riding in San Juan. doesn't sound like your group would enjoy, but if interested I can find the information possibly.

Grand Turk is a great island to hit some beaches. they have a Margaritaville right off the ship that a lot of people hit up (we just skip walk past it), but you can just keep walking down the beach to find some space. there are free loungers and then loungers the locals charge for. it can be annoying with them trying to sell you their loungers or even charge you for the free ones. i believe it is the green ones that are free.

Sounds like the Breeze will be a very very nice option for you. While I haven't sailed it, it's one of the biggest and newest in the Carnival fleet and gets a lot of excellent reviews. Nearly twenty years ago I rented a car in St. Thomas at an agency a short walk from the pier.  We were sailing on Celebrity, and I was happy to be helped by a guy at the excursion desk when I asked about it.  I know their job is to sell their excursions, but he was super encouraging and told us where to find the rental car agency and said it was a fantastic idea and we absolutely should do it.

It was challenging but fun driving around the island. It's very hilly and frankly, pretty hard to find your way around on the tiny roads. Not to mention having to drive on the left, which I got used to quickly but not sure everyone would. There were various sites you could visit, places to stop and have a drink or a bite and many, up high on the various hills, provided stunning views of the harbor. 

My mom, who was my passenger (and no longer travels), got a bit carsick winding around on the drive all day in between stops, but it quickly became one of our very favorite cruise memories, as St. Thomas had long been on her bucket list. 

Ultimately, depending on what you like and how adventurous you are, you can surely find something fun to do.

On 2/22/2020 at 9:51 AM, KmomChicago said:

As for the ports, they all have ways to fill up a day, whether just walking around the port or taking an excursion. Depends what you like and what they like.  If they have always wanted to see the Mayan ruins, you can get excursions to famous (also crowded) Chichen Itza from Progreso, or you can arrange tours to less famous, much less crowded (but further from port) Uxmal, where you can actually climb some of the structures. 

We went to Progreso several years ago and took a tour of the Uxmal ruins.  It was a fantastic excursion, and we were able to climb onto many of the structures.  Uxmal is closer to the port than Chichen Itza (90 minute drive vs 2+ hours each way).

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 8:31 AM, Aubreysmom09 said:

My family of 3  has 2 cruises planned for July and Christmas this year on the Sunshine. Same itinerary HMC and Nassau, and same spa cabin. My parents now want to go on a cruise, and have some time off in March. I have never booked this close before. We live in Richmond, VA so Baltimore and Charleston are our closest ports unless their is one out of Norfolk. I have found 3 cruises for that time, and we will be driving to port. 

-Sunshine- Princess Cay and Nassau

-Fantasy- Yucatan and Cozumel

-Sunrise - Amber cove and Nassau

Any of these better than the other? 

-Do you get better prices calling or booking online? 

Thanks 😎

The length of the cruise would have some bearing on how long I would be willing to drive if I couldn't find a super cheap flight.

Nassau was fun.  We made our own walking tour and saw the highlights (minus Atlantis as walking around that resort was not of interest to us.  Spent some time at Junkanoo Beach as it was within walking distance to the port and free unless you wanted to rent a lounger and buy food/bev.  All expenses were pretty nominal at Junkanoo.

I enjoy Cozumel.  It can get a little intense with the venders/shop owners trying to get you to buy stuff but I am good at deflecting or ignoring as needed and haggling if the mood strikes.  I met a guide through a tour company and now just book direct with him for any activities I want to arrange outside of the immediate port area.  I pay cash and have not had any issues.  That is not everyone's cup of tea as others prefer the security of booking direct with the cruise line.  Not advocating one or the other, just a note on what I do/have at this particular port.  With our guide, we have been snorkeling, toured tequila factories, hit ruins and other cool locations within the area as well as hit a local grocery store inland so I could buy big bottles of vanilla for less than a $1.

Princess Cay was a nice beach day.  I am not a huge fan of the tenders as it can slow things down getting on/off the boat but overall the beach day/buffet was fantastic and there no delays with the tenders on this stop for us.