Arriving in Tortola at 2 pm...what to do ?

bryanjaync

Taking the Zui in Oct, and it does not arrive in Tortola until 2 pm, departing at 11pm. Since arriving at 2 pm, does that give enough time to do the Baths while the sun is up ? If not, any other suggestions.....just seems like 2pm is a really late arrival in a port.

I wonder why HAL chose to do this. Unless there is a special activity/celelbration going on in Tortola during your visit.

You might get a better response over on the Ports of Call board. Another suggestion would be to find a BVI website to see how the ferries run between Tortola and Virgin Gorda. I don't think it will remain light outside much after 6:00 p.m. so you need to see if 4 hours will be enough to do your tour, assuming you can get off the ship right after it docks.

I took a wonderful catamaran snorkeling trip there.(Peter Island, Norman Island). It was well organized. I had booked it through HAL. Have you checked the excursions offered by HAL? That might give you some idea what is possible at that late hour.

Just checked my old Daily Program and we had sunset at 5:44pm on Nov. 2nd.

I was on Veendam in early Nov. But I would think you would be returning at dusk. I'm guessing you would be sailing into a wonderful sunset on your return to the ship! Not bad!:cool: Deb C.

We really enjoyed the Pusser's landing and island tour. The souvenir cups at the landing are really unique and the rum punch is too.

The scenery is great with an opportunity to get a photo of the ship from the heights. Tortola is not very commercial which made us like it all the more.

GN

We have the same situation in December. We get in Tortola at 2 p.m. This seems unfortunate since we can't get to the baths. I wonder why HAL has done this. From what I can see so far there doesn't seem to be a lot to choose from except going to dinner on the island. Any suggestions from those familiar with the island would be greatly appreciated!

We have been to Tortola before and will be going again on our dec 2 cruise with the same deal, 2-11pm

We plan on having a taxi take us to the best place to view the sunset, then going to the pussers by the cruise pier and having a painkiller:p

We are also arriving late into Tortola. The ship arrives at 3PM leaving at 11:30 ish. We will be there March 7th. Sunset is at 6:15. We have booked the HAL Snorkel excursion to Norman Island. I wasn't sure either what would be offered that late, but when I went into the HAL site and looked at the excursions available for booked guests they listed what is being run for that particular cruise. We have done the Norman Island snorkel previously two years ago. As it is 4 hours long we will probably sail back as the sun is setting and arrive back at full dark. This is a fabulous shore excursion and just thinking about the sailing back as the sun is setting on the 65' catamaran "No Fear" is keeping me going through the Winter. :D

Just remembered that when we went to the Baths we came back with lots of sand in our swimsuits. Since there was no place to change or rinse off prior to returning to the ship, we left about a half cup of sand in the bottom of the bathtub. I tried to scoop up most of it and put it in the wastebasket. Maybe too many pax were bringing in sand and it was clogging up the systems on the ships.

We have booked the HAL Snorkel excursion to Norman Island. I wasn't sure either what would be offered that late, but when I went into the HAL site and looked at the excursions available for booked guests they listed what is being run for that particular cruise. We have done the Norman Island snorkel previously two years ago. As it is 4 hours long we will probably sail back as the sun is setting and arrive back at full dark. This is a fabulous shore excursion and just thinking about the sailing back as the sun is setting on the 65' catamaran "No Fear" is keeping me going through the Winter. :D

Cruzlover56,

Let us know how it was when you get back. That's a good idea!

Our ship will stop there on the 3/25/06 sailing. We will also be there from 3pm to 11pm. HAL DOES have the Baths listed as one of the excursions and we booked it.

Now, the challenge will be to find something to do in the evening which will not interfere with dinner. :confused:

If you're thinking about taking an easy fix and going to Cane Garden Bay- don't. There has been a lot of discussion about the cleanliness of the water. When we were there in October, the smell was terrible. When we got out of the water we were coated with a film. Even with washing our swimsuits in woolite after we got back to the cabin, it took 2 days to get the smell out.

It sounds like there are many better things to do with your time there, even if it is short.

Archived