Crown: NYC Questions

ExCruiseMe

I would say it doesnt matter which, JFK or LGA. I would fly into the one that had the better intinerary or price, whichever is more important to you.

JFK does seem to have more on time flights, as it is not affected by the weather as much as LGA. Plenty of times I have seen planes leaving JFK on time and not getting out at all at LGA because of fog or wind.

Newark is certainly an option when cruising into/out of New York City. However, if the port is Red Hook in Brooklyn, there's just no easy way to travel. The Newark airport is probably 5 miles from the Red Hook terminal, but easily 20-35 miles (depending on route) by road! Taxis are somewhat reluctant to cross state lines, and will do so only at a price.

LGA is the easiest and closest, even with traffic. However, LGA tends to shut down in poor weather. And, even in good weather, LGA is subject to considerable flight delays. Traffic to/from LGA to Brooklyn is a problem only during rush hours (near the bridges) and on weekends, when the BQE's perpetual construction takes it toll on travellers.

JFK, on the other hand, is better equipped to handle poor weather. However, in bad weather, the trip (by road) from the airport to Brooklyn can get rather interesting! (Think heavy fog, flooded roadways, and the ever-popular NYC traffic!)

Where you are flying FROM usually dictate which airport (LGA of JFK) you will use. If not, choose by price or itinerary (# of stops/plane changes).

Thanks for the tips.

Here's my real question: I am taking my (89year old but sassy) mother on a cruise on the Crown Princess. We will be coming from mothers home in Miami. Neither one of us have ever been to New York. We want to come in a day, maybe two, early, see a broadway show and stay at a hotel that overlooks where the Crown will be. If we could make it to any chef's restaurant that is on the food channel that she watches all day, every day, it would be a great highlight.

How would you accomplish this?

I know there might be other threads on this, I just want opinions

Thanks for your responses and patience

There are other options beside air. But that depends where you are coming from. If on east coast there is bus service that can be faster then flying. We always take the bus from Philadelphia. Takes about two hours. Or looking at it another way, the time one has to get to the airport to go through all the BS before getting on the plane, I'll be at the ship.

From FL, I would fly into EWR and take the ships shuttle service.

We're also thinking of arriving a day early and taking in a show. I'd fly into whichever airport is most convenient in terms of price/schedule, take a taxi to midtown, and stay someplace in midtown near the Broadway shows. Then the following morning you can take a taxi to the pier. Just allow plenty of time for the taxi rides. There are plenty of nice midtown hotels, though of course none is exactly cheap.

When we visit NYC, we stay at the Embassy Suites downtown and take a taxi or the subway up to Broadway, but that's because we're a family of four and it's the most cost-effective way to get the three beds we need.

• 3 weeks later...

Just realized that Southwest only flies into Long Island in the NY area. Not a clue about the area, but have noticed that no one has mentioned this airport. Just how far is this airport from Red Hook compared to the other airports?

Thanks for the tips.

Here's my real question: I am taking my (89year old but sassy) mother on a cruise on the Crown Princess. We will be coming from mothers home in Miami. Neither one of us have ever been to New York. We want to come in a day, maybe two, early, see a broadway show and stay at a hotel that overlooks where the Crown will be. If we could make it to any chef's restaurant that is on the food channel that she watches all day, every day, it would be a great highlight.

How would you accomplish this?

I know there might be other threads on this, I just want opinions

Thanks for your responses and patience

Otto and Esca are Mario Batali's restaurants and amazing. Otto is in the West Village (easy to get to by Subway) and Esca is in midtown.

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...
Just realized that Southwest only flies into Long Island in the NY area. Not a clue about the area, but have noticed that no one has mentioned this airport. Just how far is this airport from Red Hook compared to the other airports?

It's pretty far and the traffic can be horrific. I would personally go to JFK or LGA, but do prefer JFK.

JFK or LGA?

Either one -- both are about the same distance.

~~Newark NJ Will take you longer getting over bridges and traffic.

~~MacArthur Airport in Islip, NY (Southwest) This is out on the island. It would take over an hour to get to the port.

As for the Food Network chefs.

Bobby Flay's http://www.bobbyflay.com/restaurants.asp resturants

Mario Batali http://www.babbonyc.com/location.html

are just a few from the Foodnetwork

If you can arrange it, do spend an extra day and see a play or one of thousands things to do while here in the Big Apple. Statue of Liberty, etc.

Like everyone else said, don't even consider Islip. That hour of travel is if there isn't a speck of traffic - likelihood never.

Having lived in New York for many years I would have to rule out MacArthur Airport. The "over an hour" quoted here is assuming your plane lands at 3AM in the morning, when there isnt another car on the road:D

Once the LIE gets heavy with traffic, it could take you alot longer to get to the ports.

I would recommend one of the three main airport gateways, Newark, JFK or LaGuardia

I would recommend Newark if your ship is leaving from the passenger terminal in Manhattan

I would recommend either Laguardia or JFK if leaving from the Brooklyn Terminal.

Gene

What airport is most appropriate to fly into when sailing from New York? Also, anyone have a tip for a hotel?

Take a look at which hotel(s) Princess is using for their pre-cruise stays, then go online and book it yourself. You will save a ton of money on the hotel, and you can use their transfers.

Archived