SOE--Westerdam

jlof

I saw the new HAL that the Westerdam and Oosterdam do not have flat screen tvs yet. Is this right and when are they supposed to have them?

I was under the impression that the SOE additions were complete on the Westerdam--is there anything else that hasn't been added yet?

I saw the new HAL that the Westerdam and Oosterdam do not have flat screen tvs yet. Is this right and when are they supposed to have them?

I was under the impression that the SOE additions were complete on the Westerdam--is there anything else that hasn't been added yet?

Flat screen tvs. :(

Honestly, I do not understand what the big fuss is all about. Sure, they look modern and tidy sitting on the table top in the cabin but that is about all. You don't gain any extra table top space because the base that they rotate on is the same size as the old CRT sets.

Now for the downside. On STATENDAM we had the new flat screens. Do you know that 99% of the programmes that are shown are not configured for flat screen? THE RESULT IS THAT EVERYTHING IS DISTORTED AND LOOKS 15% WIDER THAN IT SHOULD BE.:eek:

When a wide screen program is shown the image is still distorted but it will now have a black stripw top and bottom.

I'm sure it is just something that needs to be adjusted with the sets but it has still yet to be done. Until is is, it is quite annoying to watch. I'll take the old sets anyday.

Stephen

Stephen, I'm glad you posted that---I've been wondering what's the big deal about having a flat-screen TV. Apparently, nothing! If I don't even get more room on the desk---or it can't be mounted on the wall---what's the point?

I practically never turn the TV on during a cruise, so I wouldn't miss much of anything if they took it out. Oh, I do remember the days before TV's in the cabins. Life was good.

Stephen, I'm glad you posted that---I've been wondering what's the big deal about having a flat-screen TV. Apparently, nothing! If I don't even get more room on the desk---or it can't be mounted on the wall---what's the point?

I practically never turn the TV on during a cruise, so I wouldn't miss much of anything if they took it out. Oh, I do remember the days before TV's in the cabins. Life was good.

Ruth,

:)

I'm not even convinced that digital displays give the clearest picture! A few months ago our 'tehhy' packed in. We went shopping for a new one and the saleman tried to convince us to go digital but we ended up with CRT model... and an excellent picture. Much better than the digitals that were saw.

Now as to content.... all of the shows to be shown on the cruise were listed at the back of the Cabin Directory. They were listed day by day and the times were strictly adhered to. Some great stuff there... if you are interested. No complaints about that side of the set up at all.

Stephen

Flat screen tv's are setup primarily to enjoy (HD) high definition. Utilizing flat screen monitors w/o a high def source and watching SD (standard def) programming is pretty much a waste.

HD is absolutely incredible!

Odds are they've not upgraded their cables either which causes further degradation to the picture.

Only thing that will look really good w/this setup are DVD's....

Flat screen tv's are setup primarily to enjoy (HD) high definition. Utilizing flat screen monitors w/o a high def source and watching SD (standard def) programming is pretty much a waste.

HD is absolutely incredible!

Odds are they've not upgraded their cables either which causes further degradation to the picture.

Only thing that will look really good w/this setup are DVD's....

It was not so much a problem with definition which was OK... but with the horizontal distortion.

Stephen

Maybe I am confused as to what a flat screen TV is but in our suite 7063 on the Westerdam, we had a TV w/ the huge rear protrusion, like an old cathode ray tube...or the moster computer monitor sitting on my desk....hmmm time to upgrade to a $150 "flat screen" LCD

Archived