Advice from An Edinburghian Please

Hello!

We're sailing the British Isles in May and I'm having a heck of a time working out travel arrangements in some of the ports.  We tender in to South Queensferry on a Wednesday morning and my husband has a round of golf booked at St. Andrew's at noon.  Can you please advise on whether or not it's a fairly easy drive?  The current plan is a rental car for back and forth. Bearing in mind we drive on the right in Canada and are used to endless miles of wide open highway, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

3 minutes ago, ronandannette said:

We tender in to South Queensferry on a Wednesday morning and my husband has a round of golf booked at St. Andrew's at noon.  Can you please advise on whether or not it's a fairly easy drive?  The current plan is a rental car for back and forth.

We did this a few years ago-- not that hard. The drive is about 1 hour and 20 minutes each way. The beginning is on a two lane highway but then you end up on a two lane road for the majority of it (which as a fellow right hand driver I find easier than highway). Very pretty in parts driving through picturesque farmland. 

5 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

We did this a few years ago-- not that hard. The drive is about 1 hour and 20 minutes each way. The beginning is on a two lane highway but then you end up on a two lane road for the majority of it (which as a fellow right hand driver I find easier than highway). Very pretty in parts driving through picturesque farmland. 

Thank you very much for that first-hand information.  May I ask how you arranged the rental car?  Is there an agency right there in S. Queensferry?  I tried to find one near Greenock to get us to Glasgow but turned up nothing local. 

2 minutes ago, ronandannette said:

May I ask how you arranged the rental car?  Is there an agency right there in S. Queensferry?  I tried to find one near Greenock to get us to Glasgow but turned up nothing local. 

This part isn't going to be as helpful-- I am in the top tier with Avis' Chairmans Club and one of the perks I get is delivery and pick up of a car on a complimentary basis within a 25 mile radius. We did that here and it saved a bunch of time. 

I believe the car came from the Edinburgh Airport location. You could take a quick taxi or Uber over to the airport for pickup and drop-off as an option. 

Just now, princeton123211 said:

This part isn't going to be as helpful-- I am in the top tier with Avis' Chairmans Club and one of the perks I get is delivery and pick up of a car on a complimentary basis within a 25 mile radius. We did that here and it saved a bunch of time. 

I believe the car came from the Edinburgh Airport location. You could take a quick taxi or Uber over to the airport for pickup and drop-off as an option. 

Sadly, I don't think S. Queensferry is a "quick" trip to Edinburgh. Thanks for your information though - it's been helpful.