So Disappointed in NCL - price dropped IN HALF

susanf31

6 minutes ago, MrMike45 said:

Being disappointed in paying a price that at the time you were ok with?  And months later, then starting a thread on this website bashing the company saying you will never give them business again unless they bend over backwards to give you thousands of dollars back after you paid (and were ok) with something months ago?   

A lot of people look for the best deal.  Even if they feel the price they paid is appropriate given the value of what they receive, they may be frustrated that they didn't find the best possible price.  I know I'm not happy when I pay more than I need to, even if it is a good deal.  But I don't find fault with a seller when that happens!

Too many people get angry and irrational, claiming they were misled or slighted even though the policies are explicitly laid out.  And, of course, anyone that tries to explain this, no matter how sympathetically, is inevitably deemed cold and heartless.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

No, they will not offer an upgrade. I asked. I'd also rather have a spa pass, Vibe pass, cabin upgrade...anything.  They are only offering 25% shipboard credit for the difference in price drop.  This is what we get for booking early. Will never deal with NCL again.  Part of my family are paying MORE for an inside cabin than balcony cabins are currently selling for.  

I would call back. The inside cabin should be able to upgrade to a balcony (but it might not be near the other two balconies, it depends on what is available). Otherwise, they often offer 25% of the price drop as OBC. Just remember, after final payment due date they don’t have to do anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

4 hours ago, janotay said:

With all due respect, you are still looking from a buyer's viewpoint. However, from a business owner view whether it is apples, oranges, gas or cruises the price fluctuates with the market.  Disappointing? Sure! Unfair?  Nope!

Well stated, and absolutely correct.

On 2/28/2020 at 2:07 PM, susanf31 said:

I'm so disappointed in NCL.  We booked three cabins, two inside and one balcony. We made final payment. The price of all 3 cabins has dropped IN HALF.  We paid more for an inside cabin than the balcony cabins are now selling for. I wouldn't mind price swings of a few hundred dollars but we are talking about thousands of dollars.

It seems as a gesture of good-will and our future business as happy customers, they would offer an upgrade, spa pass, but no...nothing. So we are overpaying for this cruise about $3000.

Call back and try again!!!!  maybe a different person will help you.

I booked an inside a long time ago and since then I had 2 price drops before final payment and then on Saturday I called and got upgraded to the Balcony room.  I paid about  $150 more then what they are asking for the balcony at the moment but that is the best they could offer me. 

I guess it depends on which agent you speak to

On 3/1/2020 at 2:27 PM, SAmome said:

Interesting.  I'm ok with the 25% of the price reduction after final b/c it's more than other cruiselines do.............. but, don't most cruiselines let you upgrade if a better cabin is available at same or less than you paid?  Or the ability to upgrade if the difference small and you pay the difference?

The only answer to this is last minute booking.  Cruiselines are gonna need to offer a little incentive to booking early, like at least the ability to upgrade.

I am booked for a May cruise. Booked June , final payment made, when prices dropped I notified my TA and within 10 minutes was upgraded from balcony to mini-suite. No problems at all. 

On 2/28/2020 at 2:20 PM, susanf31 said:

No, they will not offer an upgrade. I asked. I'd also rather have a spa pass, Vibe pass, cabin upgrade...anything.  They are only offering 25% shipboard credit for the difference in price drop.  This is what we get for booking early. Will never deal with NCL again.  Part of my family are paying MORE for an inside cabin than balcony cabins are currently selling for.  

Try seeing if there is a cabin that is slightly more than what you paid. Then you can pay the slightly higher price and have a much better cabin. Also try calling again and asking for an upgrade. Be polite. Sometimes a different person gives a different answer. I, too, dont like NCLs price drop policy. I wont book on NCL until last minute. Other cruise lines, I will book early because they will offer an upgrade in cases of price drops.

23 hours ago, janotay said:

I am booked for a May cruise. Booked June , final payment made, when prices dropped I notified my TA and within 10 minutes was upgraded from balcony to mini-suite. No problems at all. 

And I just today received additional 340 OBC.  So that's an upgrade from Sailaway Balcony to Assigned Mini Suite and 340 dollars OBC and I booked 11 months  ago. I don't understand the problems people are having with early bookings...

There are 6 couples that will be on the May 8 N.C.L Getaway from Rome. I called our travel agent the other day about the price drop recently and asked if N.C.L would be willing to do something for us. My agent said she will see. I really didn't expect N.C.L to do anything, but I got a phone call back from our travel agent who stated that N.C.L would be offering the 6 of us a 1 time upgrade to a Mini suite (already have a balcony), or $500 more ship board credit per cabin. We would get no guarantee that the 3 cabins would be near each other. My wife and I have stayed in a mini suite on the Getaway last year, and the only difference is a bigger bathroom with a much bigger shower. The 6 of us decided in the $500 ship credit. That credit will pay for most of our shore excursions. You will never know what N.C.L will do unless you ask.