Panama Canal Shore Excursions

hjrell

Is it worth it to pay the extra money for a shore excursion at the Panama Canal when you will already be on the ship as it goes through the canal? Also, if we decide to just stay on the ship, can we get off the ship once it has docked? And if so, is there anything to do at that area?:confused:

If you want to see how the Canal works, up close and personal, you MUST get off the ship. See the Panama Canal forum here, under Ports of Calls for many more opinions on the subject.

When the ship docks, you have very limited time to explore the local not too savory neighborhood. Some shopping opportunity, but not much more than that.

You cannot get off the ship unless you take a shore excursion through the cruise line. We were on Princess and we took a shore excursion through a rainforest (that was just okay) and then an Indian Village. The Indian Village was wonderful. The Indian Chief talked to us and someone translated. Then we were allowed to ask him any questions. The children marry at age 12. They elect the Chief, etc. There were handicrafts that you can buy that were very inexpensive. I bought this very beautiful beaded gold necklace for $5 that I always get compliments at home on. The Indians danced and danced with us. They were very nice and hospitable to us. They don't have any electricity, no cell phones, and they don't eat chemicals. Everything they eat is natural. Then we went to the observation deck for 30 minutes.

It is very, very, very, very, very, very slow going through the Canal. You go through two locks before you dock to go on your shore excursion. My parents, sister, and her husband went on the 6-8 hour boat ride. It turned out to be 10 hours and after awhile--very boring. The seats on the boat that they took were very uncomfortable. I would definitely recommend the shore excursion I took and not the boat ride. Also, people who took the train ride said that it was difficult to see anything. Shore excursions for the Panama Canal are not cheap, but mine was well worth it. Good luck on what you decide to do.

Archived