A few more Meraviglia questions

Danny61231

So, we are now under 3 weeks until are cruise and SUPER EXCITED even though this coronavirus crap is trying to damper our excitement. I've come up with a few more questions before our cruise so hopefully someone can help.

1 - We will be traveling with our 3 year old son who is ADDICTED to milk! Where on the ship are you able to get milk and can you get it 24 hours a day? Is milk free for everyone or at least included in the easy drinks package? Also, are we able to have the mini fridge emptied out so we can keep milk / snacks in it?

2 - How is the lounge chair situation on the Meraviglia? Are they pretty easy to come by or are people reserving them early in the morning? Do the crew members do anything about chairs being reserved?

3 - Does anyone happen to have an picture of the menu for the specialty coffee drinks that are included with the easy package? I know I've seen one before but I can't seem to find it.

Thanks in advance!

10 hours ago, Danny61231 said:

2 - How is the lounge chair situation on the Meraviglia? Are they pretty easy to come by or are people reserving them early in the morning? Do the crew members do anything about chairs being reserved?

We were on Meraviglia in July 2019 on a Northern Europe cruise (Germany/Denmark/Norway) and on both sea days, even in northern europe where the weather was soso, there was not a single lounge chair empty by all pools at 10am. Crew will not do anything about chair hogs, but maybe will help you to find some empty chairs for you, but don't count on that.

So in short; sailing caribbean on a sea day IMHO all chairs will be "reserved" by 09am. Hope it will ever change...

I'm here to echo what cvg42 said above. I was on the Meraviglia 2 weeks ago in the Caribbean and it was INSANE. Do not count on getting a lounge chair. Yes, people are reserving them. There are some on the aft deck, but that has a tiny pool and the smoking section; I don't imagine you'll be hanging out there with your toddler. Your best bet is to enjoy the inside (Bamboo) pool. That roof retracts I believe; I have no idea why they don't make that another outside pool when in the Caribbean. 

4 hours ago, elbodans said:

Your best bet is to enjoy the inside (Bamboo) 

I agree.  This is a very nice pool; less crowded--two levels available for seating.  Less hectic than the Atmosphere Pool which is the mid-ship pool where the "Games" are held.

I did see a few nice sized stack of deck chairs aft of the Atmosphere Pool under the above deck close to the Grill and Pizza counter.  Not used and, I think, there was enough open deck space in that area--not in the Sun, maybe--but open deck space nevertheless, that could have been used if the crew had erected them.

19 hours ago, elbodans said:

I'm here to echo what cvg42 said above. I was on the Meraviglia 2 weeks ago in the Caribbean and it was INSANE. Do not count on getting a lounge chair. Yes, people are reserving them.

This was one of the most disappointing and irritating things on our Mera feb 16 cruise.  In the morning before the Captain finished announcing that we would not be stopping at Ocean Cay, we could hear people slamming their cabin doors and running down the hallway to get their lounger. 

On this cruise, We did not get off the ship.  We were convinced that people kidnapped loungers before they left for shore excursions.   

The crew was unwilling to deal with it, even when we spoke with them.   And it is one of the few reasons we are very unlikely to sail MSC again.  (Yes, we have cruised other mass market cruise lines that DO police the reserved lounges, at least minimally or on request. )

PS I was told that the tiny pool at the back of the ship is supposed to be adults only.

Edited by jkgourmet

23 minutes ago, neptuno said:

Just sayin, you pay for what you get.  MSC is cheap for a reason, and some of us like it that way...

That's entirely true.  And it's the reason we drink Two Buck Chuck sometimes.

But here's the thing:  if one sails in the cheap seats (inside or OV gty, bella, and the like), MSC is NOT appreciably cheaper.  Especially when one compares the small print.  One example = the Easy package compared to basic alcohol packages on every other cruise line. 

• Like 1

We were on the ill fated 'Flu cruise' last week. Lots of lounge chairs, stuff by the pool filled up fast, but nearly every spot where you could put a lounge chair was it could be occupied. In the polar park plenty of areas to scope out.  The horizon pool some days was less crowded (downside smokers)

15 hours ago, KittyCruz said:

We were on the ill fated 'Flu cruise' last week. Lots of lounge chairs, stuff by the pool filled up fast, but nearly every spot where you could put a lounge chair was it could be occupied. In the polar park plenty of areas to scope out.  The horizon pool some days was less crowded (downside smokers)

I was on this cruise as well. We didn't have much luck finding loungers after the second day of the cruise. Not like it was nice weather, anyway. I don't wanna hang on deck when it's only 70° and cloudy. 

You can have the fridge emptied. There's small cartons of milk everyday at the buffet at breakfasttime, so grab a few then and bring them back to your room for your kiddo. 

19 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I am not sure what one considers "cheap" in a cruise experience.  I found nothing of a "cheap experience" when I sailed on Meraviglia as a YC guest in the rest of the ship.  

The "cheap seats" = inside and OV cabins.  And of course you found nothing "cheap" in the YC experience - nor was it as cheap as an inside or OV cabin.  I'm betting that on MSC, it's kinda dumb to compare the rest of the ship with the YC; hence, my subject line. 

4 hours ago, jkgourmet said:

The "cheap seats" = inside and OV cabins.  And of course you found nothing "cheap" in the YC experience - nor was it as cheap as an inside or OV cabin.  I'm betting that on MSC, it's kinda dumb to compare the rest of the ship with the YC; hence, my subject line. 

Whenever I read about "cheap seats" for a cruise, I consider what one would experience for their entire cruise experience.  Surely, a YC stateroom would not compare with an inside or OV stateroom.  Was even such an accommodation perfect?  No.

During my cruise, I spent a significant amount of time outside YC.  I enjoyed the buffet.  I enjoyed the entertainment and the music.  I enjoyed the ambiance.  Crew's service everywhere was what I expected.  

MSC, at least on Meraviglia, is a "class cruise product" in my opinion regardless of whatever "experience" level one books.  Maybe an improvement to their business model would be to discontinue this "experience" level other than YC.  Provide a cruise experience for guests in whatever cabin category that is the same.

18 hours ago, neptuno said:

Well, most of us on this blog cannot afford Yacht Club, so therefor, there is no comparison.

I would not have ever considered spending what a Yacht Club suite would cost unless I did not find a really good price, even as a solo cruiser.  My cruise was that first one of Meraviglia after New Year's.  I have found that time to be an excellent time to book a cruise at that time of year at an exceptional price that differs from the usual High Season Fares.  Such a cruise in YC may be more affordable than you might expect.

On 3/2/2020 at 3:44 AM, Danny61231 said:

3 - Does anyone happen to have an picture of the menu for the specialty coffee drinks that are included with the easy package? I know I've seen one before but I can't seem to find it.

Thanks in advance!

Not a great picture. Coffee and tea at the bottom.

Screenshot_20200306-195935.jpg

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I would not have ever considered spending what a Yacht Club suite would cost unless I did not find a really good price, even as a solo cruiser.  My cruise was that first one of Meraviglia after New Year's.  I have found that time to be an excellent time to book a cruise at that time of year at an exceptional price that differs from the usual High Season Fares.  Such a cruise in YC may be more affordable than you might expect.

Good on you.  BUT it's still a damn site more expensive than the "cheap seats".  Regardless, it's a matter of personal choice.   

On 3/6/2020 at 7:47 PM, rkacruiser said:

Thanks for that.  Please let us know next time you have found a great value on MSC.  Our last cruise on Meraviglia, having been MSC afficionadoes for over a decade, Meraviglia was quite a disappointment.