Has anyone been denied boarding?

Rob-Bob

2 hours ago, WH_Cruise said:

no refunds in the event of being denied boarding.

Someone just searched for wording in their policies. That statement is true for being denied boarding for not having the proper proof of citizenship and/or ID. Not true for the current situation.

Bret

Everything is moment by moment right now! The people who answer the MSC phones and emails  dont make decisions. The customer service staff is trying to stay on top of updates that are sent to them, changes that are sent to them, cope with lots of emotion from folks on the phones, and still seem somewhat pleasant and confident when really sometimes they just dont know the answers to some scenarios that are presented to them. I mean, just look at all the threads on this topic here on CC. There is conflicting info, changes, and lots of opinions and emotions. I share this response just to say its really fluid. All the answers are not known yet. I certainly would not want to be the person answering calls for 6, 8, 10 or however many hours the shifts are at the call centers. Its stressful I'm sure. Someone said it great earlier in this thread that whatever happened in one situation might not be the outcome in the next situation. Its a fluid, ever changing situation right now. Everyone has to make the choice that they think is best for themselves and sometimes the options available are not ideal. That happens sometimes. Good luck everyone! ☺ (and be careful about where you are getting your information). 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Talex831 said:

When does this all come to a head though? I mean the virus is now spreading pretty quickly through the US, some cases having no known origin. Will the cruise lines start banning all countries with the virus?  I am beginning to wonder how big of an impact this is going to have on the cruise industry.

Cruise lines should just stand dow till the epidemic is over.  Why endanger passengers, crew, and people i the ports?  CLIA just as bad.

Asked my TA to contact our travel insurance in event we are denied boarding and if we are covered for trip interruption, refund, etc.  Answer, only with a doctors letter will they pay out. Where at the port will one get a doctor's letter that we are not fit to travel?

P.S. CFAR insurance is only good up to 48 hours from date of departure, not day of departure.

Edited by rattanchair
P.S.

WH ... Just spoken to the UK office who say that Refunds will not be given if you have a Temp of 100 or over but you will be given a future cruise credit to the value of the cruise purchased. 

6 minutes ago, sidari said:

WH ... Just spoken to the UK office who say that Refunds will not be given if you have a Temp of 100 or over but you will be given a future cruise credit to the value of the cruise purchased. 

Thanks Sid.

I got this email from their UK operations team this morning regarding the denial of boarding (names removed):

Dear Mr XXX,

Thank you for your email.

Please accept our apologies for the delay in replying to you.

MSC Cruises will screen you at embarkation and should you present with a temperature or flu like symptoms, you will be denied boarding.

We will have our medical staff come down and assess you to which you will then be handed over to port authorities. The port authorities will assist you to a hospital and contacting your insurers to assist you getting home should you not have a fly and cruise package booked with MSC Cruises.

Should you develop any symptoms before your cruise, you must inform your insurers immediately.

We understand your concerns and can ensure you that we have our guests and crew health and safety as our top priority.

Kind Regards

xxx

Operations Assistant

MSC Cruises Ltd

5 Roundwood Avenue

Stockley Park

Uxbridge

UB11 1AF

WH ... I notice there is no mention of what I was told earlier in their reply! It would appear that they are assuming your insurance would cover it.

Edited by sidari

So i have asked MSC what their policy is with regards being denied boarding at embarkation due to the coronavirus issues, below is their response luckily we have not paid our final payments so will now be looking at going with a cruise line that will offer a full refund.

I dont want the hassle with insurance company.

Dear Mr xxxx

I hope this finds you well.

Currently we are only advising for cruises in March and April.

When we get closer to the date, we will reassess the situation.

Passengers that are denied boarding due to illness such as fever, are currently offered to postpone the cruise or they can claim the refund to their Travel Insurance, if this may help to answer your query.

However, as mentioned, it is actually too early to advise in regards.

Should you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Elisa Pani
Booking Management

MSC Cruises Ltd
5 Roundwood Avenue
Stockley Park
Uxbridge
UB11 1AF
United Kingdom

To be fair folks in 6-8 weeks time most of the planet will have this thing so i very much doubt cruises from April onward will even take place until a level of normality returns to society. Even if they do continue, those to ill to travel will be able to claim illness on their insurance policy as a reason for cancellation before they even get to the point of going on a cruise.

Edited by WH_Cruise