Cruise Critic Community
TravelinGert

Looking for a relaxed spot for dinner.

My husband says he isn't bringing a suit on vacation. He will have a nice dress shirt and plenty of nice polo shirts. He is six foot six and a big guy, so a borrowed jacket probably isn't an option. That means no Arnaud's, Commander's Palace, Galatorie's, or Antione's for dinner. A friend has suggested Stanley's, Vincent's Italian, or Broussard's.  I'm leaning toward Broussards of the three but wondered if anyone has other suggestions.

13 minutes ago, TravelinGert said:

That means no Arnaud's, Commander's Palace, Galatorie's, or Antione's for dinner.

Times have changed a bit. Jackets are requested, but no longer required, at Commander's, Arnauds, and Antione's. They are required after 5pm at Galatorie's. While most will have a jacket still, I would say that about 20% of the dining room did not last time I was at Commander's. 

Posted (edited)

Thank you, Princeton123211! Which is your favorite?

Edited by TravelinGert

18 hours ago, TravelinGert said:

Thank you, Princeton123211! Which is your favorite?

If you haven't dined in any you really have to go to Commander's for your first dinner experience like this-- it's iconic and a classic.

You can actually do all of them if you want. Arnaud's has our favorite Sunday jazz brunch and the dress will be more relaxed for brunch. Also well worth checking out the Hermes Bar at Antoines, which will also be casual. 

Thank you, princeton123211! We just made reservations for dinner at Commander's Palace and we're planning Antoine's for lunch. Unfortunately won't be there on Sunday for brunch, but I'm sure we'll enjoy breakfast at Elizabeth's. I'm excited to try the bread pudding at Commander's Palace, the charbroiled oysters at Antoine's, and the praline bacon at Elizabeth's. We're also planning to grab some beignets at Cafe du Monde and will be fitting in a show at Preservation Hall. Wish I had something for daytime but haven't figured out what that should be just yet.

On 3/7/2020 at 11:16 PM, TravelinGert said:

We're also planning to grab some beignets at Cafe du Monde and will be fitting in a show at Preservation Hall.

Pro tip: if you get a Hurricane at Pat O'Brien's to bring into Preservation Hall, as many do, just get one. It has plenty of alcohol for both of you. Taste good at first but you'll get halfway through it and then its like drinking boozy cough syrup.