Anxiety...

AlaskaBaked

I’m so mad at China for doing this to the world.  Covering it up initially From that doctor’s initial warnings and their animal markets.  

im not scared of dying of this just scared this is going to ruin the vacation we planned 10 months ago that my children are so excited for.

and I haven’t slept well all week so concerned about everything.

Edited by gemz

Think of it this way:

How many cruise ship sailings have there been in the Caribbean in the past 2 months? (Many) 

How many sailings have run into any problems with COVID-19? (Just a few, none of which actually had cases of COVID-19)

How many passengers in the Caribbean have had their cruises cut short after departure due to COVID-19? (None -- 1 cruise had a late departure while previous passengers were tested, but that was before restrictions on who could board)

Some ports have expressed concern about letting ships dock, so it is possible that ports could be missed, but given that cruise lines are now being more vigilant about who is allowed to board and that many areas rely heavily on tourists, even that is unlikely.

Of course it's wrong to say there is zero risk on upcoming cruises, but the risk for COVID-19 on a Caribbean cruise is considerable less than the risk of contracting seasonal flu, which is a known risk this time of year.

You have no control over whether other passengers are ill. All you can control is making sure your family takes common-sense precautions such as washes hands frequently that would be prudent even without this new virus. 

• Like 1

I agree I had that same line of thought up to a few days ago but with it not just in countries but circulating in the US (The one community case in CA, grand princess people left the ship and went home) that is what is worrisome.  

I honestly don't know what I'd do.  Yes, a ship is  a "close quarters" environment.  On the other hand, DCL is the "cleanest" cruise line I've been on.  They are constantly cleaning and sanitizing everything. The only time I saw anything that resembled DCL's level of cleaning on another line was when they openly admitted they were expecting cruise line execs at the terminal.  I've been on cruises that had Noro and saw them ramp up their existing policies.  My state now has a "we don't know where it came from" case, nearby states have "explained" cases.  I expect that soon my risk of exposure at the grocery store might become an issue.  Guess I'm glad that we were at Aulani last month and don't have a cruise any time soon.

We were on a Princess cruise last year an d there was a respiratory outbreak. A number of passengers were sick and there were some who had to be evacuated by ambulance at various ports. Despite this Princess did not alter operations such as changing the way buffets function (no changes at all) and we had concerns about the cleaning of the room. We likely won't take a Princess cruise again given our experience and also based on what we are reading about Princess and COVID-19.

We were on a Disney cruise when a GI outbreak occurred. They changed the buffet operations (served food from a crew member) and we felt more comfortable with how cleaning was done (e.g. having any used glasses replaced with machine washed glasses). We also bring sanitation towels and go over all services and other places where bugs could hide.

I read in the Orlando paper today that Disney plans to increase cabin cleaning during their cruises in addition to door knobs etc. We also need to all do our part - wash hands, don't go if sick. There is nothing worse than being away from home when you are sick even if it is a Disney cruise.