6 Day Horizon Port/Excursion Question

PelzerGirl

Traveling with my elderly mother, no kids or men this time! ; )

On previous cruises to other destinations there was usually a low impact excursion that included some kind of shopping.. like street market, not brand stores.  

For Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman I haven't found anything suitable in the Carnival excursions.

We've never ever gotten off the ship "alone" .. without it being an official Carnival Excursion.  I floated the idea to mom, that we might just be able to get off the ship and find our own way to some kind of street market.  _sigh_ I thought she was going to faint at the idea....

How dangerous is that really?  Is it worth it?   I've promised I wouldn't let her get kidnapped and ransomed (eyeroll) and I'm sure I could keep us close enough to get back to the ship in time.. 

Are there any street Market type shopping at these ports?

Grand Cayman has some shopping right at the port area. It is very modern, and you will have no issues. Jamaica, has some vendors and shopping in the port area but they are a little more agressive. You wont have any issues but it isnt grand cayman. Have fun! 

We often get off the ship alone often and get around via taxi or walking. There are often street markets set up near the port but can't comment definitively for grand cayman or ochos rios. I agree with the previous post that I would be a bit more wary in ochos rios. We have shopping at a beach market in negril and the vendors can be quite aggressive. Course they would be whether you traveled to that market on your own or with an excursion. There's nothing wrong with traveling independently if you do your research ahead so you know where you want to go and how to get there.

Edited by sanger727