Switzerland prior to Venice by train

kruzkraziness

7 hours ago, Hlitner said:

We did that Jungfrau jaunt from Lucerne and it was also a very long day 🙂

Well, it's longer from Zürich. The route I took was Zürich-Bern-Interlaken Ost-Lauterbrunnen-Kleine Scheidegg-Eigergletscher-Jungfraujoch, slightly more than 4 hours each way, but a route via Grindelwald is no faster. Except for the first connection at Bern, all the changes were merely across the platform, and from Interlaken Ost, everyone seemed to have the same destination.

In the Jungfraujoch terminal I was mistaken for an employee. I was wearing a quilted vest, true, as do the employees, but mine was red with an American label, not blue with a Mammut (Swiss) label.

• 2 weeks later...

We went by train from Cinque Terre to Geneva and it was a wonderful trip. It is correct if you have a lot of luggage traveling by train even first class will be problematic. My son and me had one suitcase each and hand luggage and places to store your suitcases are very few. We weren't permitted to put the large suitcases overhead. There are so many places to go to in Switzerland you might want to consider a land-trip. We spent one week in Geneva. We got a Geneva Lake train pass for 5 days which allowed us for 2 days to hop on and off the train and on the lake-ferry free and the rest of the days was reduced fare. The ferry boats are the one's with the large wheel (like on the Mississippi), amazing. We took a day trip to Mont Blanc and the week alone in Geneva had barely been enough.