Someone please explain my options

layteacher

I have read all about Carnival's new cancellation policy, but how does this affect people with the Carnival insurance that you buy when you book?  I am sailing out of San Juan on April 5th and trying to figure out my options since I did purchase the insurance. Thanks so much for anyone with advice. 

I don't think you get any extra benefit for having the insurance (and unless you purchased the "cancel for any reason" coverage, your insurance wouldn't have let you cancel without penalty for COVID-19 concerns, anyway). You keep your reservation and get the $200 OBC or you cancel and get what you paid toward a future cruise. That's my understanding.

11 minutes ago, rin1 said:

I don't think you get any extra benefit for having the insurance (and unless you purchased the "cancel for any reason" coverage, your insurance wouldn't have let you cancel without penalty for COVID-19 concerns, anyway). You keep your reservation and get the $200 OBC or you cancel and get what you paid toward a future cruise. That's my understanding.

Totally agree. I know very few people who were fully refunded due to some of their expansive insurance coverages. Also the “virus” incident is not yet officially included in the insurance statement so dont rely on the insurance anyway. In your shoes I would rather get 200$ OBC. 
You should plan this thing advance and know ahead your plans in case of these unexpected situations. I call it a plan B 🙂 

My understanding, from what I've seen posted by people canceling, is that you will receive a refund for everything purchased (cheers, insurance, money over the 50% cancellation fee) and that 50% that would normally be a penalty will be applied toward a future cruise.

As far as *using* the Carnival insurance to get a 100% refund..I don't think covid-19 is covered. If you were to turn up with actually having it and they deny you boarding, then you'd likely get a full refund.

That's my take on all of it at least.  Your best bet is to wait a few days until things settle down and then try to call Carnival later in the evening so you can actually get through.

Edited by DenaInWyo

I don't believe the Carnival insurance is cancel for any reason, is it?

Anyway, Carnival isn't canceling the cruise. You are. Carnival is just being gracious by allowing folks to get full credit for a future cruise.

I don't see how any of this is an insurance claim. 

• Like 2

The non-refundable portion is what you get back as FCC. So depending on when the cruise date it and what the non-refundable deposit was (which depends on the offer you booked) you can now get that back in form of a FCC (as of now that’s good through March of 2021 I believe). The remaining refundable money paid is given back to your cc or whatever your method of payment was.

This is my understanding after lots of reading and 2 phone calls so if I’m wrong, someone please correct me!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

33 minutes ago, cruizergal70 said:

I don't believe the Carnival insurance is cancel for any reason, is it?

Anyway, Carnival isn't canceling the cruise. You are. Carnival is just being gracious by allowing folks to get full credit for a future cruise.

I don't see how any of this is an insurance claim. 

Carnival Vacation Protection does have a cancel for any reason clause -you can cancel up to 48hrs prior to sailing for 75% credit applied to a future cruise.  Here is a summary of their policy, note the cancel for any reason clause at the top of the page - http://affinitytravelcert.com/document/pdfs/CCL_Landing.html

According to our PVP at Carnival, discussed prior to their just-announced cancellation policy update, previously if you cancel for any reason then that Future Cruise Credit will be calculated as follows:

- 75% Cruise Rate paid (i.e. the cruise-only portion of the total amount paid)

- 100% Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses

- 100% Any other add-ons (e.g. Wifi Pkg, Shore Excursions, etc) EXCEPT the cost of Vacation Protection*

*You forfeit the cost of the Vacation Protection, since that's why you buy their travel insurance

HOWEVER, I'm not sure what happens under Carnival's new cancellation policy -I assume the Vacation Protection from the cancelled cruise would be transferred to the new booking.

I have a message out to our PVP -we'll see what she comes back with...

thank you .. That helps a lot .. I too understood the insurance covers 75 percent for any reason.  Ready2sailaway please let me know if you hear about  the insurance going on to our new booking should we decide to cancel. 

I spent quite some time today looking at alternate cruises if we decide to cancel our April cruise. I had a hard time finding a comparable cruise around the same price I paid.  Prices seem to be high.  Has Carnival raised them in anticipation of all the people that are going to re-book?  I also wonder how many people will end up forfeiting the FCC funds because they don't end up booking in time.  From what I understand we must re -book by March 31st?  Is that correct?  I would like more time in choosing another cruise.

This is what I took from the email I rec'd today
*Offer is for cruises departing from date of letter till 5/31/20
*We have up to 3 days prior to  departure to make our decisions (sailings departing between March 9-March 31. 
* April 1-May 31 departures have until March 31 to rebook

*Credit is valid until 3/31/21
***small print does say some important stuff like it's only good for (1) booking and cannot be used for taxes/fees/port expenses, Carnival Vacation Protection, onboard charges or gratuities. Guest is responsible for the difference between FCC and new booking. If new booking is less than the amount of the FCC the difference will be applied as a Non Refundable On Board Credit with a maximum of $500 per cabin. Any additional unused is forfeited. All money paid for Carnivals insurance is non refundable and will not be included in your FCC. 

The form to use this option and rebook is here, you do not need to call to rebook
https://www.carnival.com/request.../reimbursement-form.aspx

Hope this helps