Odds stacking up against Virgin Voyages succeeding?

Lupush

34 minutes ago, Lupush said:

Makes absolutely no sense for Virgin to launch with these types of environmental disruptions.  At this point they should just delay for 60 days minimum.  I'd be so inclined as to say they should delay until after hurricane season is over.

I think delaying past hurricane season is premature.  China is already seeing a decline in new cases.  It is definitely going to get worse here in the US before it gets better, but I think it's best to not panic. I am keeping my fingers crossed for our September cruise.

Well Richard B is currently begging the UK government for money for his airline - if the delays go past August, you have to ask if the ship will ever sail under the VV flag?

Edited by nigelc
add name

On 3/16/2020 at 1:19 AM, garymfreedman said:

U.S. airlines are already asking the U.S. government for help. That is what they should do. The U.S. will help out the airlines and the Cruise industry, that is what they do. And Virgin Voyages is going to be fine.

Well Virgin Voyages may well be ok - but not sure if the crew will be if they are treated the same as he is treating his Virgin Atlantic staff e.g told to take eight weeks unpaid leave - nice when a billionaire looks after the little guys in his organisation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gstewart said:

You do know that Virgin Group only holds 20% of Virgin Atlantic.  It is 49% owned by Delta and 31% by Air France-KLM.

But I understand that everyone wants to blame SRB for everything...

As a man who makes out he values his staff, putting his hand in his well stocked pocket would be a nice gesture - but no one is blaming him for anything (you made that bit up yourself).

Thread titles like this make my blood boil-- especially when the content is ignorant of the facts.

Virgin Voyages is a joint venture with Virgin Group & Bain Capital:  both have deep pockets and don't throw money around in a whim.  I am certain that there were contingency plans build into the business plan, perhaps not a pandemic, but definitely plans for service disruption since they're operating in the Caribbean mostly during hurricane season. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/richard-branson-virgin-voyages-cruise-line-open-business-2019-2  

Governments providing assistance to airlines during this pandemic is a wise move, given air travel is a vital part of global economic infrastructure.  

Sure, Corona virus is a major set-back.  And yes, SRB's guiding rule is to pull the plug on a new venture that isn't profitable in 12 months.  I'd guess he may decide to bend the rule a bit this time, given his passion for having a cruise line.  But I guess it depends upon when he decides to start the 12 month clock.

But also note that Virgin Group only holds a 49% stake, meaning that Bain Capital holds controlling interest.

Look to the progress in the shipyard for Valiant Lady.  If there's any news of its halt... or major changes to the configuration*, then it may be a bad sign.

*Couldn't resist:  major changes, other than a larger or second pool.

2 hours ago, gstewart said:

You do know that Virgin Group only holds 20% of Virgin Atlantic.  It is 49% owned by Delta and 31% by Air France-KLM.

But I understand that everyone wants to blame SRB for everything...

Virgin Group holds 51% as the Air France/KLM deal fell through.